Ordinary Bitter - 1

MapperMatt

Re: Ordinary Bitter - 1

Post by MapperMatt »

All I will say is I like it bitter. I also don't believe the alpha acid content on the hops is correct.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

MapperMatt wrote:All I will say is I like it bitter. I also don't believe the alpha acid content on the hops is correct.

they look pretty reasonable to me chap
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

MapperMatt wrote:All I will say is I like it bitter. I also don't believe the alpha acid content on the hops is correct.
Also worth noting, as pointed out in Stan Hieronymous' new book that there is a drop in BU as a result of fermentation and certain yeasts pull more out. What you have as IBU in wort (even measured) will be higher than the finished beer.

Why don't you think the AA on the hops is correct?
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

The proof will be in the drinking ;)

At least then you'll know if it was too bitter or not and can adjust future recipies accordingly. Good to set the line in the sand.
James

BJCP Certified Judge
MapperMatt

Post by MapperMatt »

Tried this out of the fermenter last night and it is very nice. It may drop a bit further yet though. Not too bitter at this stage... it has bitterness but I think it is a good level. But we'll see how it develops. Hopefully should be able to bring it to the next BCB.

To clarify one of my earlier posts, when I said that I did not believe the alpha acids were correct what I meant was that as all of the hops were at least a year old I imagine that their bittering potential is somewhat diminished from when they were in their prime... I'm sure I read that that happens doesn't it?
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

It's all theoretical anyway, 150 calculated IBU = around 50 when tested (give or take).

I stand by making beer that you like and to hell with any rules or style guidelines, within reason of course. Some things are silly and just shouldn't exist.

American hops in british beer styles are fine too, been happening for a century or more. Likewise Styrian Goldings and other mainland European hops.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

A version I brewed today, using the same grain bill, but different hops.

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/91587/obiwan

cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
MapperMatt

Post by MapperMatt »

Looks nice Steve. The Challenger and Bramling should work well together. I notice you pulled back on the bitterness! Fair enough. Looking forward to trying it.
MapperMatt

Post by MapperMatt »

Just kegged it. It is a bit bitter, but only a bit.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

I just tried my Obiwan, been in the bottle about 2 weeks and has finally cleared. The mauribrew yeast does not seem to flocculate and clear particularly well, but it looks OK now. It is quite bitter but still a nice pint and it may smooth out with a few more weeks in the bottle. Will bring some samples to the next meeting.
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.