Simcoe Shortage

disasterjustavoided

Simcoe Shortage

Post by disasterjustavoided »

Looks like there is still a shortage of Simcoe hops, anyone know where I can find some?
I_used_to_brew

Re: Simcoe Shortage

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Not so much a shortage, it's more a case of it's not arrived yet. Late December is when the main hop merchants will have stock.
disasterjustavoided

Cheers Roger. Yep, been informed that its going for £30 a kilo wholesale so apparently we are likely to get it for £7 per 100g. I might head out to the states rob some rhizomes and retire!
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

disasterjustavoided wrote:Cheers Roger. Yep, been informed that its going for £30 a kilo wholesale so apparently we are likely to get it for £7 per 100g. I might head out to the states rob some rhizomes and retire!
Whoever told you that is full of it.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
disasterjustavoided

Guy from Hop2it-UK said the following.
I've seen the contract price on Simcoe and it is VERY expensive...£30 a kilo for brewers, so probably £6-7 for home brewers
Have you heard something to the contrary?
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I would expect £90 for 5kg, give or take.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

disasterjustavoided wrote:Guy from Hop2it-UK said the following.
I've seen the contract price on Simcoe and it is VERY expensive...£30 a kilo for brewers, so probably £6-7 for home brewers
Have you heard something to the contrary?
More than that. I've got a contract for it for less. Roger's £90 per 5kg is more like it.

The guy who told you that is just trying to convince you that his prices are reasonable. Given he's selling 113g of Goldings for £6.50...
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

NA hops are starting to appear on the market, I just bought enough Amarillo to take me to through the year I have seen Simcoe too but didn't buy. Probably early shippings, Simply Hops still not showing stock of those varieties though!
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

Stop the madness mofos. They're only hops - they don't in any way, shape or form guarantee that you'll make good beer. The last thing that's needed is for everyone to get in a froth about stocking up on a 'year's supply' or similar nonsense, as it only serves to heighten the panic driven hop fever and means that lots more hops sit around in people's freezers not being used. FFS I buy the hops I think I'll need for the next few brews, and guess what, if a particular variety is unavailable, I'll use something else. Hops are not the be and end all, and having a large stock of simcoe (or amarillo or centennial) does not you a good brewer make.

Bring back malt!
Eat sh*t or die trying
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

600g, just enough for 2 brews for the year is my next few brews :-) and is neither excessive nor preventing anyone else from buying any. You're welcome to your opinion but don't criticise me for buying a few brews worth of hops.