Recipe formulation methods?

bs5cider

Recipe formulation methods?

Post by bs5cider »

I tend to use some of my recipes from more than a decade ago (Dave Line era - if anyone recalls the man) or recent Graham Wheeler ones. Now Mr Wheeler has a nice bit of software calles 'Beer Engine' http://www.practicalbrewing.co.uk/calcu ... eerengine/ and I like it and use it all the time. Does anyone else use it or do you use something different.

I only ask because, if we had a standard bit of software, we could easilly change the parameters to brew specific amounts. For example I allways brew to 19 litres because I use a Cornelius keg and you may have reasons for brewing differing quantities.

If we can standardise it would make recipe exchange easier......
stitch

Re: Recipe formulation methods?

Post by stitch »

I use BeerAlchemy cos I've only got a Mac at home. It imports & exports BeerXML and .REC files, if that helps.

I find Wheeler's book really useful, these days I normally just use it as a guide for making up my own recipes. Sometimes they're rubbish, but usually pretty good. And I tend to go for normal 23 litres as it fits the pressure barrels quite well, and it's just about the maximum I can get out of my boiler.

I don't know about Beer Engine, but BeerAlchemy will easily adjust all the ingredient amounts if you need to change the final volume of beer.

stitch