Simcoe Shortage

alikocho

Re: Simcoe Shortage

Post by alikocho »

The same panic happened last year, with people on internet forums frantically scrabbling for hops. There will be stuff available, but patience is needed. All the panic does is to drive prices up, and for people to stockpile stuff that doesn't get used. Professional breweries are as guilty of this as homebrewers, on both sides of the Atlantic. And remember, this is not the hop crisis of 2007-2009.

There will be most US hops available on the market - the difficult to come by hops will be Centennial and Ahtanum, as the crops in Washington have been poor. Cascade has also got more expensive as a result of acreage going over to the more exotic varieties.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Nobody is panicking that I can see.

Hop buying is easy, plenty of hops out there and even the prices for small amounts are sensible from what I've seen.

Heres what I did;

Go on interwebs, have a look at a variety of online retailers, choose the one offering best value including postage (one had free postage within the UK), place order, sit back and wait.

Brew beer (X2)

Repeat.
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

I wasn't actually criticising anyone in particular, just pointing out that threads like these, found on a number of fora, do engender a hoarder mentality driven by a fear that certain hops will be hard to come by. And it is stupid and unnecessary.

A lot of the chat just seems to be willy waving too....
Eat sh*t or die trying
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Capn Ahab wrote:I wasn't actually criticising anyone in particular, just pointing out that threads like these, found on a number of fora, do engender a hoarder mentality driven by a fear that certain hops will be hard to come by. And it is stupid and unnecessary.

A lot of the chat just seems to be willy waving too....
That was the panic I was referring to.

And I agree on the willy waving.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Capn Ahab wrote:seems to be willy waving
alikocho wrote:And I agree on the willy waving*.
Well, you two get on with that........ and the rest of us will get on with buying some of the large quantities of freely available hops on the interwebs without worry or panic.

Incidentally, lots of 2011 US of A hops are still available too despite the tales of woe and shortage we heard.

*Isn't taking part in HB comps and being very competetive more of an expression of the ultimate WWing amongst (male) homebrewers?
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

*facepalm*

Yep, way to avoid the point Roger. Glad you're so normal mate!
Eat sh*t or die trying
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Capn Ahab wrote:*facepalm*

Yep, way to avoid the point Roger. Glad you're so normal mate!
Some of have to be to make up for the freaks :)
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

You and your irrational fear of freaks... Is that why you find st Werburghs so scary? Anyway, you missed the irony I think (as well as my point): plus ca change, eh?
Eat sh*t or die trying
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Capn Ahab wrote:You and your irrational fear of freaks... Is that why you find st Werburghs so scary? Anyway, you missed the irony I think (as well as my point): plus ca change, eh?
Mark, I don't understand your problems and I don't find St w`s scary. Odd, yes, scary nope.
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

RogerP wrote:
Capn Ahab wrote:You and your irrational fear of freaks... Is that why you find st Werburghs so scary? Anyway, you missed the irony I think (as well as my point): plus ca change, eh?
Mark, I don't understand your problems and I don't find St w`s scary. Odd, yes, scary nope.
Thanks for your concern man, but I'm managing to keep a lid on them.... just.

Anyway, I distinctly recall a conversation with a couple of people at the National this year who related how you'd warned them to keep a weather eye out for trouble while in St W at the comp, as it was a bit of a rough neighbourhood. They were like "fuck me, has he ever been to London?! cos this is nothing" - I found it ver ver funny :)
Eat sh*t or die trying