Molotov

Capn Ahab

Molotov

Post by Capn Ahab »

Drinking (another) bottle of Tax and Bim's brett barleywine and it still seems to be fermenting, yet still has a full rich body. Amazing.

Can one of you put the recipe up, so I can peruse it when I crack my final bottle please?
Eat sh*t or die trying
alikocho

Re: Molotov

Post by alikocho »

Dy'know where the term Molotov Cocktail originally comes from? It's kind of interesting.

The term was first coined by Finnish soldiers during the Winter War fought between the Soviet Union and Finland, 1939-1940 (you all knew about that war, right?), which the Soviets lost and in which the Finns used improvised glass bombs. The attachment of Molotov came as a slur against the Soviet Foreign Minister, Vyacheslav Molotov, who had signed the agreement with Germany for a Soviet annexation of Finland. And the cocktail was the drink to go with the Molotov Bread Baskets, which is what the Finns called the Soviet cluster bombs that Molotov tried to explain away as food parcels.

The Finns made quite a bit of use of them - so much so that the Finnish Alcohol Monopoly was the manufacturer (they actually work best as a mix of alcohol gasoline and tar, or alcohol and kerosene, rather than gasoline - stickiness and ignitability is key, and therin lies the genesis of napalm) during the Continuation War. And they were effective enough that Britain had contingency plans for their production and use should they fall short of munitions production.

[Anyone would think I write about and teach this stuff for a living...]
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Capn Ahab wrote:Drinking (another) bottle of Tax and Bim's brett barleywine and it still seems to be fermenting, yet still has a full rich body. Amazing.
This is one of the things Brett does - produce more alcohol, but still leave body behind.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

Capn Ahab wrote:Drinking (another) bottle of Tax and Bim's brett barleywine and it still seems to be fermenting, yet still has a full rich body. Amazing.

Can one of you put the recipe up, so I can peruse it when I crack my final bottle please?
Over to you Taz, as you've got the recipe!
James

BJCP Certified Judge
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Post by Taz Ales »

This was done as a Parti-Gyle, and it was a first attempt by James and I, so don't expect accuracy.

Water was 'Burtonised' to a certain extent.

85% - 11kg Maris Otter pale
7.7% - 1kg Munich malt
7.7% - 1kg Wheat malt

I think we collected about 22 litres. 60 minute boil.

100g Chinook - 101.5 IBUs - 60 min
50g Cascade - 6.9IBUs - 5 min
50g Cascade at flame out - Steeped for about an hour, give or take

Ended up with 18 litres at SG: 1.107
Yeast: WLP037 (Yorkshire squares)

The second run of the Gyle ended up with about 20 litres at SG: 1.048, for an English pale.
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.