Haka! The Herald

periolus

Haka! The Herald

Post by periolus »

Okay, AG#2 is Haka! The Herald, a Xmas Pacific/Imperial IPA. As the name suggests, it has a fair amount of NZ hop in it.

Recipe as follows:

87% Maris Otter
7% Caramalt
1% Amber
3.5% Munich
1.5% Wheat malt

Motueka & US Cascade - Bittering hops
Nelson Sauvin & Motueka- Flavour
Nelson Sauvin & US Cascade - Aroma

27g Motueka @ 60
11g US Cascade @ 45

10g Motueka @ 29
2g Nelson Sauvin @ 28->21

12g Motueka @ 25
12g Motueka @ 20
1g Nelson Sauvin @ 20->11

10g US Cascade @ 10
15g US Cascade @ 5
15g US Cascade @ 1

8g Nelson Sauvin @ 0

US-05 to ferment

SG- 1064
IBU 53.4
ABV: 6.3%
Last edited by periolus on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alikocho

Re: Haka! The Herald

Post by alikocho »

6.4% is hardly Imperial IPA territory.....
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
periolus

Haka! The Herald

Post by periolus »

Let's forget the Imperial then, and we'll stick with the Pacific.

I definitely want to do an Imperial, but perhaps not at Xmas. I can see that getting messy!

Final ABV now estimated at 6.8%. Game on.
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
periolus

Post by periolus »

Brewed this today. OG came out higher than expected at 1068, but I seem to have rather less beer at the end than I had calculated - I think I miscalculated my water measurements!

As I have 12.5L in the fermenter (instead of 20L), I am sterilising my 15L 'mini' fermenter to take this later - I don't want the massive airspace in a standard fermenter. Pouring the wort into the smaller one will re-aerate for me, then I can pitch my rehydrated US-05.

Should be nice, just need to drink it more slowly due to diminished supplies. Smells like a hop-bomb. Love it!

---EDIT---

Yep, I made no allowance whatsoever for loss of water to hops, and my 10% loss to boil is, I think, too low. Still seems to be quite a lot short, even factoring that in with 145g of hops. ?

Anyway, important thing is - I'M NOT WORRIED ABOUT IT ; )
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

periolus wrote:Anyway, important thing is - I'M NOT WORRIED ABOUT IT ; )
good stuff

i always allow
10% boil off
1.5 litre of water for per 100g of hops
periolus

Haka! The Herald

Post by periolus »

Ah! This beer really is going to be a complete surprise! Just noticed the much darker than expected colour, and have realised that I mislabelled my Tupperware, causing me to add 7% Crystal instead of Caramalt.

More of an English malt bill now.

I added 70g table sugar to the original recipe too to boost my ABV.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

periolus wrote:Ah! This beer really is going to be a complete surprise! Just noticed the much darker than expected colour, and have realised that I mislabelled my Tupperware, causing me to add 7% Crystal instead of Caramalt.

More of an English malt bill now.
Beer in volume always looks darker than in the glass. On mis-labelling and malts - spend some time getting to know your malt - what it looks, smells and tastes like raw - caramalt and medium crystal look quite different in terms of colour, so with greater familiarity you'd spot this even if you mislabel tupperware.

The crystal is probably going to give you more sweetness and body than the caramalt would have done, but it likely wont matter.

And this confused me Caramalt is an English malt, I don't see how using crystal makes the leap to "an English Malt Bill".
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
periolus

Haka! The Herald

Post by periolus »

I think it will turn out fine. It will be consumed whatever happens! +1 to getting to know my malts - this is an important lesson learned,

Sorry, had it in mind that Caramalt was American for some reason. ??

Well, nice layer of yeast on the bottom of the FV this morning. IF my tube heater arrives today (late) then I can get my brew fridge sorted tonight.

Taking big FV back to Brewer's Droop today. It is scratched. Looked at 8 yesterday and they were all badly scratched. I thought I had the good one.

Luckily my 15L bucket is in great condition.

I'll keep you posted. Maybe I'll even bring a bottle to London : )
vacant

Post by vacant »

Boil off isn't a percentage of boil volume.

Example: suppose you can keep a good rolling boil with one kettle element. One day you boil 15 litres for one hour and next day you boil 50 litres for one hour. Using "10% loss", would you really expect to lose 1.5 litres the first day and 5 litres the next? Taken to an extreme, how come I can easily boil dry a kettle in an hour if it has 200ml of water in it and not just lose 20ml?

Actually, the 50 litre brew would lose less water as heat is lost from the increased contact with the sides of the boiler from the larger volume, so the boil would be slightly less vigourous.

With one kettle element (nominally 2.2KW) I use 4 litres/hour as a guide (this will decrease with increasing brew length and/or increasing air pressure and increase with increasing ambient temperature but not greatly so I can ignore these factors).

With gas, if you have a good rolling boil that looks the same on the surface then you're creating the same rate of boil off in litres/min, whether you're boiling 15 litres or 50. Still not related to volume in the kettle.
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
periolus

Haka! The Herald

Post by periolus »

I wasn't taking the 10% as a rule of thumb, for the reason you state. Physics would be a mess if the rate of evaporation increased with volume! Think of the coastal weather systems!

I had set 10% as the quantity I could reasonably expect to lose from a 23l volume in an hour. As it turns out, I may have lost closer to 15% in the time.

As to where the rest of it went? Who knows?!