Haka! The Herald

Capn Ahab

Re: Haka! The Herald

Post by Capn Ahab »

Bimster wrote:I like the simplicity of the boil off calc though, might try that for my next brew.
Do it. They're all simple enough, just a case of getting used to them.

Oh and Graham Wheeler's a cock.
Eat sh*t or die trying
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

RogerP wrote:Whatever some people may think of Graham Wheeler, I've always found "Beer Engine" to give me the correct volumes (http://www.practicalbrewing.co.uk/main/ ... eerengine/) and that is without fiddling the default settings. It is free and very easy to use.

I don't use beersmiff any more and I might as well give the licence to someone who wants a headache :)

I am with you on this one roger -

have used beer engine forever but wanted to see what beersmiff was all about! for the last few brews i have entered the info into both.

The only thing that vaires greatly between the two is EB

I like the simplicity of beer engine over beersmiff. Beersmiff feels like you are trying to land your pint on the moon with out spilling it!
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Thanks Mark for those calcs. I too find beersmith's volume calcs confusing and frustrating. I will try your simple approach and also intend to calc my boil off rate empirically by boiling 20l of water for 30 mins and seeing what's left.

The recipe formulation and inventory management of beersmith is worth it's purchase though IMO, and the mobile app is very handy for assembling the ingredients away from the PC and doing the brew (including a timer for ingredient addition).

cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

steve crawshaw wrote:Thanks Mark for those calcs.
My pleasure man. I'd be up for doing a talk at bcb on brewing calcs if people are up for it.
Eat sh*t or die trying
periolus

Haka! The Herald

Post by periolus »

I will definitely try those calculations on paper, Mark. I have Designing Great Bees. It put me to sleep the first time too! I must admit I glaze over a little in the face of calculations. Now I will take them by the horns!
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

periolus wrote:I will definitely try those calculations on paper, Mark. I have Designing Great Bees. It put me to sleep the first time too! I must admit I glaze over a little in the face of calculations. Now I will take them by the horns!
I like the idea of designing my own bee. I'd make mine an emo bee in green and black with a long fringe, chains and some self harm scars.
Eat sh*t or die trying
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Capn Ahab wrote:Graham Wheeler's a cock.
I've never met him so I can't comment. I see him a bit like the modern day Dave Line, he's done a lot, by way of books and free software, to get people involved in extract/AG brewing. It's more than any of us have done.
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

Yeah, but he's also a vindictive aggressive misanthrope that can't take criticism. Hence a cock.

He also perpetuates a culture of second rate knowledge and practice in my view.
Eat sh*t or die trying
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Capn Ahab wrote:Yeah, but he's also a vindictive aggressive misanthrope that can't take criticism. Hence a cock.

He also perpetuates a culture of second rate knowledge and practice in my view.
Get off the fence Mark and say what you think.
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

I have personal experience of the above.
Eat sh*t or die trying