Haka! The Herald

I_used_to_brew

Re: Haka! The Herald

Post by I_used_to_brew »

periolus wrote:Here's a picture:

Smells yeasty when you get up close to it and when you part it with a sterilised spoon you get to clear beer straight away. With the gravity so low, I have only ever seen beer with a clear top before and the yeast in suspension in the body of the liquid.
I did pitch a whole pack of US-05 rehydrated into 12L of wort, but I would still expect it all to drop out.

I was going to bottle this tomorrow, but if it's still doing something then I will have to leave it until Saturday. It is a high-gravity beer after all.

I welcome any comments or suggestions as to anything that needs to be done, or if there is a possibility it isn't healthy yeast at this stage.
That's what US-05 does, chilling it to 3C makes it drop out, it's done but it tends to hang around. Skim it for re-pitching, it's a much better behaved yeast on subsequent generations.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

periolus wrote: It is a high-gravity beer after all.
1.068 is not high gravity in my book ;)

And yeah, US05 does tend to float even once it's done.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
periolus

Post by periolus »

I can put this in my new brew-fridge and get it to behave then ; )

Well, no, 1068 isn't that high, but it is the highest I have done so far. Actually, it's 1070 - I've earned my Septuagenarian badge with this one!

Will stick in the fridge tomorrow morning, as ready for bed now. That's what drinking IPA in the morning the day before does to you.

Cheers.

B
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
periolus

Post by periolus »

Just bottled the bugger. 18 bottles in all plus a glass for now to see how it shapes up. Not at all bad actually, although I think it will need ages to condition properly. Final Gravity was 1011 in the end, so weighs in at 7.8%.
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

periolus wrote:Just bottled the bugger. 18 bottles in all plus a glass for now to see how it shapes up. Not at all bad actually, although I think it will need ages to condition properly. Final Gravity was 1011 in the end, so weighs in at 7.8%.
It's an IPA. Don't give it ages. Drink it young.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
periolus

Haka! The Herald

Post by periolus »

Well it was intended for Xmas so will start cracking it open then. Will save some for January BCB.

Just need to get the next brew underway now : )
periolus

Post by periolus »

Well, tried a couple of these over the last few days - the cold bottle was better.

It's a nice brew, but has come out a bit sweeter and not quite as hoppy as planned. The flavour is fine, but the aroma needs more kick and the bitterness is a bit weak at the bottom end. Having said that, it is still a pleasant beer and very drinkable ; )

I think the mistake in adding crystal instead of caramalt hasn't helped, it would have been better to the original recipe.
juliancheal

Post by juliancheal »

I look forward to trying it.