Countdown Conundrum

periolus

Countdown Conundrum

Post by periolus »

I'm going to have to do another brew in secret to prove I can do it without panicking!

Just waiting to see now if we get action overnight. Going to move FV somewhere slightly warmer and pop a sleeping bag round it. It looks like there id a nice creamy layer at the bottom, so maybe we're on!
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
I_used_to_brew

Re: Countdown Conundrum

Post by I_used_to_brew »

periolus wrote:I'm going to have to do another brew in secret to prove I can do it without panicking!

Just waiting to see now if we get action overnight. Going to move FV somewhere slightly warmer and pop a sleeping bag round it. It looks like there id a nice creamy layer at the bottom, so maybe we're on!
If you insulate it, it won't take on the ambient warmth.

Perhaps, next time, don't get pissed and try and freeze the wort, just follow the good advice you've been given :-)
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

It'll be fine.

I'm sure most of us had some 'moments' when we first started. I know I did. The more you brew the easier it gets especially as you learn your equipment (i.e. what strike temperature you need).
James

BJCP Certified Judge
periolus

Countdown Conundrum

Post by periolus »

Bimster wrote:It'll be fine.

I'm sure most of us had some 'moments' when we first started. I know I did. The more you brew the easier it gets especially as you learn your equipment (i.e. what strike temperature you need).
Yeah, I'll get there. Just need to keep brewing. I plan on one every 2-3 weeks between now and Xmas. Should be used to the kit more by then.

Oh, I have primary fermentation going on this morning ; ) yay!
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

Bimster wrote: (i.e. what strike temperature you need).
What's that?

periolus wrote: Oh, I have primary fermentation going on this morning ; ) yay!
Now leave the bloody thing alone! ;-)
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

mrlard wrote:
Bimster wrote: (i.e. what strike temperature you need).
What's that?

The temperature that the water you use for the mash needs to be at to achieve your desired mash temperature (taking into account grain and mash tun temperature amongst other things).

Probably not a worry for your setup!
James

BJCP Certified Judge
periolus

Countdown Conundrum

Post by periolus »

I forgot to pre-heat the MT, which fidn't help with getting my desired mash temp. It was alright for the last 35 mind though, so added a further 5 mins at the end to compensate a bit.
periolus

Countdown Conundrum

Post by periolus »

Wow, just checked on it and it is moving on and smelling VERY fruity ; ) sleeping bag is now insulating. Hopefully it will taste lovely.
periolus

Countdown Conundrum

Post by periolus »

7-day check: lid puffed to buckling point and plastered with foam on the inside and beer in the sleeping bag.

I am guessing it fermented!

Bottling early Tuesday morning. Will be in the bottle nine-and-a-half days before BCB.
MapperMatt

Post by MapperMatt »

There are lots of conflicting views on this but i personally think that is too early to bottle. If you are not going to rack to a secondary then I would leave it in the fv for at least a fortnight. Given that you are fermenting quite low i dont think that all of the diacetyl etc will have cleared up by Tuesday.
Also 9 days in the bottle is not very long. Whats the rush? I'd give it a full 2 weeks in the fv then 4 weeks in bottle then bring it to December's meeting when it will definitely be ready.

No doubt there will be plenty who disagree with this approach, but that's homebrewing!