Proper Job Yeast Profile

periolus

Proper Job Yeast Profile

Post by periolus »

Does anyone have any info on the profile of this yeast? I am particularly keen to find the % attenuation.
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
vacant

Re: Proper Job Yeast Profile

Post by vacant »

66C mash, 1044 to 1010 in eight days without any rousing. I bottled a bit early to bring the slurry to the meeting so I guess about 75%
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Attenuation can only be quoted in a "standard wort" so mostly meaningless in the homebrew setting where the wort can be manipulated to finish high or low. Also there are a few other factors that affect attenuation - amount pitched, temperature etc. Yeasts might finish early as they reach alcohol tolerance too.

I pitched about 150ml of Paul's yeast into a 1.080 ish wort and it kicked off and spewed out of it's 15 litres of headspace a bit, it calmed down after 36 hours and is occupying 8 litres of headspace. I expect it will go down near to 1.020, I'll let you know.
periolus

Proper Job Yeast Profile

Post by periolus »

Great stuff. Just trying to compare to things like WLP002 or Nottingham on the finish. From tasting the St. Austell beers, it would appear to leave a reasonable amount of sugar in the wort, which is what I'm hoping for.
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I'll have some of this yeast to give away in about a weeks time if anyone else wants some.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

vacant wrote:66C mash, 1044 to 1010 in eight days
1082 to 1030 in 10 days, still visibly working.
periolus

Proper Job Yeast Profile

Post by periolus »

Roger - if you still have some, I would love some more.
Also, do you still have any of that cider vinegar left? I am still in the market for three bottles.
periolus

Proper Job Yeast Profile

Post by periolus »

Paul! Is the proper job yeast supplied at pitching volume for a 5 gallon brew, or should it be stepped up further?
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I'm racking to keg Monday or Tuesday. Come fill your boots with as much as you want. I use about 300ml for a 20 litre batch.
vacant

Post by vacant »

periolus wrote:Paul! Is the proper job yeast supplied at pitching volume for a 5 gallon brew, or should it be stepped up further?
I don't think it will need stepping up (was that a 500ml bottle?). Anyway Roger's will be active if you're worried.

p.s. gave Matt the nichrome wire as he said he lived near you.
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford