Yet another Porter

alikocho

Re: Yet another Porter

Post by alikocho »

RogerP wrote:1.021, dropped the yeast and kegged it. Quite interesting out of the FV, going to need some maturation time :-0
Interesting like my Gose?
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

alikocho wrote:
Interesting like my Gose?
Oh god, no! (not that I tried it, I saw enough reactions...)

Loads of chocolate and dried dark fruit flavours but with a slightly harsh bitterness that should mellow with time, I hope. Not smooth enough to drink as it stands.
periolus

Post by periolus »

I am getting very interested in brown malt now, and was thinking about making some to do a porter with (roasting pale in the oven for however long Jamil suggests - can't remember now). Has anyone tried that? Would be keen to find out more about it.

I am planning a grist of pale (70%), home-made brown (20%), either dark crystal or crystal rye (5%) and chocolate (5%).

Don't know about the hops though. Is Bramling X good in porters? Maybe some of that with Progress or something.
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Plan for long storage time before drinkies. Might try mine again in the new year.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Decided this was good enough to re-brew so went for 50 litres. Efficiency up a bit so got 1.084 despite a long and less than perfect brewday.....

20Kg of malt does not fit in my MT, so had a suplementary mash in a bucket wrapped in a towel, this actually worked well. Over full MT and stupidly fine crush on the other malts lead to a ridiculously slow sparge (Durden Park would have been proud of how very slow it was).

Pitched 22g of "NBS ale yeast 2" in 30 litres (20 litres went to SteveW who 'helped' during the brewday) and in a half full FV I got spewage in 12 hours.

I'll give it two weeks in the FV and stick it in Barry till the Winter.