Pilsner Malt et al

nuBroo

Pilsner Malt et al

Post by nuBroo »

Can anyone explain the differences between Pilsner Malt, Lager Malt and Low Colour Malt?
stitch

Re: Pilsner Malt et al

Post by stitch »

As far as I know lager malts are less "well-modified" than pale malt (including low-colour pale malt). Meaning, I think, that there is less starch and other long-chain sugars.

This is why lagers benefit from multi-step mashing, particularly the protein rest which breaks down amino-acids into starch & other long-chain sugars which are then converted into maltose & dextrins later on in the mash.

Not sure of a difference between lager and pilsner malt though - maybe pilsner malt is lager malt that comes from Pilsn?

I think.
nuBroo

Post by nuBroo »

To add a bit more to the query I asked the guy who gets malt for me if he could supply Pilsner Malt and he said, "well we just use lager malt or low colour, what's the difference?"
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

nuBroo wrote:Can anyone explain the differences between Pilsner Malt, Lager Malt and Low Colour Malt?
They taste different.

By low colour, I assume you mean low-colour Maris otter, which is a classic malt for British ales and in particular English pales, due to its bready, biscuity flavour.

Pils malt is lighter in colour and has a distinctive grainy but clean flavour, and is good for lagers and, broadly speaking, other continental styles.

I haven't tried lager malt; the name puts me off as it sounds like low rent pils malt. It might be good for bog standard lagers and blonde ales.

For pale ales, English and American, you can't go wrong with lcmo.
Eat sh*t or die trying
Mike Palmer

Post by Mike Palmer »

Capn Ahab wrote:By low colour, I assume you mean low-colour Maris otter, which is a classic malt for British ales and in particular English pales, due to its bready, biscuity flavour.
Correct. Kilned lower for less colour. I believe Sam Smiths use a large percentage of this in their Pure Brewed Lager alongside pils.
Capn Ahab wrote:Pils malt is lighter in colour and has a distinctive grainy but clean flavour, and is good for lagers and, broadly speaking, other continental styles.
I believe the distinction has more to do with the area of cultivation and varietal of barley - European, rather than British.
Capn Ahab wrote:I haven't tried lager malt; the name puts me off as it sounds like low rent pils malt. It might be good for bog standard lagers and blonde ales.
Lager malt is low colour British malt, i.e. not maris otter.

While some pils malt is less well modified, the great majority of pils malt available has enough diastatic ability to dispense with decoction, were it not for the important impact that the process has on flavour.
Long live SHA(T)!
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

So English lager malt is just low colour generic British malt then?

Anyone used it? If so, what's it like, and is there an increased dms risk as in pils malt?
Eat sh*t or die trying
vacant

Post by vacant »

Example: Flagon malt kilned one way it becomes lager malt, kilned longer (higher?) and it's pale ale malt

CRISP PALE ALE MALT Flagon Variety EBC 5.7
CRISP LAGER MALT Crisp Flagon Variety EBC - 2.5 - 3.0
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
Mike Palmer

Post by Mike Palmer »

I've only used it in conjunction with MO to lighten the colour. It tasted like beer, so it must have been beer. I think the DMS risk comes again from the varietal, but I may be talking complete horse shit.
Long live SHA(T)!
nuBroo

Post by nuBroo »

OK thanks guys, seems further investigation is needed. I'll come back when I know more and have finally recovered from the National Homebrew Competition,

great bangers by the way Mike.