PsycHOPath

Capn Ahab

PsycHOPath

Post by Capn Ahab »

An Imperial IPA (obviously...)

I have loosely based the hop schedule on Green Flash IPA according to a few recipes I have seen online, except I have subbed Apollo for Columbus. I haven't tried the beer, but I've heard it's one of Brett's (formerly BBF, now Wild Beer Co) favourite beers, and since I have tried Southville Hop (Brett's creation and also Columbus, Simcoe, Citra) I think the combo should work. I have added a bit of extra citrus in the form of NZ Cascade and Centennial too.

The malt bill I have changed a fair bit, having first tried Pliny on Thursday, then seeing the recipe Ali posted up from Vinny Cilurzo. I was going to use a fair bit of UK Pale Crystal, but I have dialled it back and used Caramalt instead. Hopefully this will give some sweetness rather than caramel. The speciality grain percentage is a bit higher than in Pliny, but the hops are effing mental so hopefully they will balance nicely. Sugar is there to dry the beer out.

1.080 - 1.014
8.9% ABV
254 IBU (nominal)

22 litres post-boil - God knows how much I will actually end up with after hop and trub loss.

6.943 kg Low Colour Maris Otter
0.410 kg Caramalt
0.410 kg Carapils
0.410 kg White Sugar

30 g Apollo FWH 90 mins
30 g Simcoe FWH 90 mins
25 g Apollo 30 mins
25 g Simcoe 30 mins
50 g NZ Cascade 15 mins
35 g Apollo 15 mins
35 g Simcoe 15 mins
40 g Apollo 0 mins
40 g Simcoe 0 mins
30 g Citra 0 mins
25 g Centennial 0 mins
25 g NZ Cascade 0 mins

3 packs rehydrated US05

40 g Apollo Dry-hop
40 g Simcoe Dry-hop
40 g Citra Dry-hop
25 g Centennial Dry-hop
25 g NZ Cascade Dry-hop

560 g of high alpha hops. Let's face it, this can go one of two ways.....

edit: Forgot to mention that a) it was a single infusion at 150 F for 90 minutes and I had to decoct to reach mash out (no room in MT for further infusion) and b) I chucked in a couple of old dry yeast packs into the boil for extra yeast nutrient.
Last edited by Capn Ahab on Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eat sh*t or die trying
Mike Palmer

Re: PsycHOPath

Post by Mike Palmer »

Way #1: Hoppy
Way #2: ??
Long live SHA(T)!
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

Mike Palmer wrote:Way #1: Hoppy
Way #2: ??
Way #2: Too hoppy.
Eat sh*t or die trying
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

21 litres at 1.083. Not fuckin bad!!!

BTW my new hop strainer is the bollocks; costs about £15 to make, but WILL NOT block and drains 'like a racehorse taking a piss'. I can show anyone interested.
Eat sh*t or die trying
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

Hop filter details please ;-)
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

2 ss 40 mesh sheets from inoxia crimped together with a hole punched through the middle of one, a T connector inside the 'envelope' and an elbow connecting to the outflow outside.
Eat sh*t or die trying
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

I got a similar set up manager to block it a treat the other day. Got a bit carried away with the hop pellets (something I ain't used before and never would again) that and a whole profloc tablets clogged the lot right up. Whoops!
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

My mistake! Mine is 30 mesh. First time I used it was a mix of pellets and leaf and it was fine. Apparently you need 40 or 60 mesh for all pellets, though I reckon a bed of leaf hops will always help filter pellet sludge, so would avoid using only pellets. Some hops are only available as pellets too...
Eat sh*t or die trying
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Capn Ahab wrote:My mistake! Mine is 30 mesh. First time I used it was a mix of pellets and leaf and it was fine. Apparently you need 40 or 60 mesh for all pellets, though I reckon a bed of leaf hops will always help filter pellet sludge, so would avoid using only pellets. Some hops are only available as pellets too...
Yeah, but if you go too fine then whole hops apparently clog the flow.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

mrlard wrote:I got a similar set up manager to block it a treat the other day. Got a bit carried away with the hop pellets (something I ain't used before and never would again) that and a whole profloc tablets clogged the lot right up. Whoops!
I can confirm that a Mr Lard hop filter can handle 100% pellets admirably and without clogging. I brewed a pilot batch of session IPA last night, and the kettle drained like the provebial racehorse, and was no slower than with hole hops. Great big green mess though....
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com