Knowle Pale Ale

steve crawshaw

Knowle Pale Ale

Post by steve crawshaw »

This is the recipe for Knowle Pale Ale - A timothy Taylor Landlord clone from the wheeler book (1995 version)

OG 1042

for a 23 litre brew:

4.7Kg pale crushed malt

Mash in 11 litres at 67C for 90 minutes

Hops: 2 hour boil

28g of goldings and 50g of fuggles at the start of boil
15g of goldings in the last 15 mins with 1tsp of irish moss at the same time

final gravity 1010 ABV 4.3%

bitterness 30 EBU

I used rainwater collected from my roof to brew and kegged it into a pressure barrel using some spray malt \ dextrose to secondary ferment in the keg.

It never really cleared properly - I think I should have done a secondary fermentation in a normal vat before kegging. Also i guess the water wasn't optimal as it was untreated.

I quite liked it. As i recall the tasting notes gave 4 - 6 on 10 for all of the parameters.
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
stitch

Re: Knowle Pale Ale

Post by stitch »

I think I've heard that rainwater doesn't quite have all the minerals you might need for brewing. The best stuff seeps through rock for many years and dissolves minerals on its way down to underground aquifers. ie Burton

Having said that, it's probably a good base to add minerals to in order to create your own water profile. And it certainly won't be chlorinated. Sometimes my tap water smells strongly of bleach which is very off-putting.

How do you get it out of the pressure barrel and into a bottle without losing fizz?

stitch
bs5cider

Post by bs5cider »

What's everyone elses opinion on water treatment? I do nothing! I want to be able to brew a reasonably consistent range of beers before I try to improve them with tweaks with the water profile.
stitch

Post by stitch »

At the moment I chuck in half a campden tablet at the start to drive off the chlorine, and then a teaspoon of gypsum in the boil.

I think it makes my brews taste less like homebrew(!) - I have made better beers since I started doing this, but that may well be down to technique.

I re-read Wheeler's Brew your own... chapter on water treatment yesterday and I'm thinking of adding some CRS (carbonate reduction solution) to get rid of undesirable bicarbonates and then a pinch of epsom salts for magnesium. But maybe I'm over thinking...

I have no idea what my water make up is (apart from very hard & lots of chlorine), but I'm thinking it would be a good idea to try and remove undesirable stuff and make sure that desirable stuff is there.

stitch
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Post by Taz Ales »

Hardly anything at all for me. I just fill a couple of 5 gallon buckets with water the night before brew day to let the chlorine evaporate.

I've never added anything to the water because I've never got around to asking the water authority for a profile.

I've moved this part of the conversation to a new thread so it's easier to find:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.