Gose

alikocho

Gose

Post by alikocho »

Pronounced Gosa, it's a beer from Leipzig that was popular around 1900. It's sour, lightly hopped and has salt and coriander added. Some say it should taste like a piece of crusty bread eaten by the sea. The sourness is from lactobacillus (think Berliner Weisse, but different).

I'm going to brew one very soon. Question is 5 gallons or only 3? I could use my 3 gallon funk tank, or I could turn a five gallon fermenter over to the dark side (I plan to brew more sours, so this may be an inevitablity). I'm happy to turn over another keg to sours.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
Capn Ahab

Re: Gose

Post by Capn Ahab »

That sounds weirdly appealing. I think this:
alikocho wrote:I plan to brew more sours, so this may be an inevitablity
answers your question for you... unless finishing it before you leave for Wales is an issue...
Eat sh*t or die trying
lancs_Steve

Re: Gose

Post by lancs_Steve »

I LOVE gose! Went to Leipzig a few years ago on a bit of a round-europe-in-the-camper-beer-tour (including Chodovar in Cech for the beer spa and Bamburg) and tried all the ones available there. Prefer it to Berlinner weisse very similar in many ways though.

Personally I;d brew 5g but rack off 2g first and make those into a sour fruit beer leaving the salt and corainder for the other 3g.