Grain and Hop supplies

bs5cider

Grain and Hop supplies

Post by bs5cider »

What does everyone else do to get hold of their grain and hops?

I buy 25Kg sacks of crushed Maris Otter pale ale malt from Warminster maltings and get it via Brew UK for about £30 delivered - can that be bettered? Anyone know if a friendly local brewery could arrange a better price?

For hops I know a few sources where I can get 500g for £14 delivered - do you know better?

For sundries I like using a real high street shop and the Homebrew Centre in Keynsham ticks all the boxes.
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Re: Grain and Hop supplies

Post by Taz Ales »

Keynsham mostly... Sorry to Brewers Droop, but the quality and choice is much better at Homebrew Centre.

I'd love to be able to get in 25kg bags of Maris Otter, but I just don't have the space in my house to keep quantities.

Taz
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

same as Mr. BS5 and also use keynsham shop. You also need to bear in mind that if you're keeping 25kg of malt you need to secure it from rats - they be lovin it.
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
bs5cider

Post by bs5cider »

steve crawshaw wrote:same as Mr. BS5 and also use keynsham shop. You also need to bear in mind that if you're keeping 25kg of malt you need to secure it from rats - they be lovin it.
No rats get in my cellar, if they did then they might end up in the cider :)
chilli

Post by chilli »

A local brewery is kind enough to sell the odd 25kg sack of fawcetts Maris otta for £19.10.

A cheap source of electricity would be nice!
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

chilli wrote:A local brewery is kind enough to sell the odd 25kg sack of fawcetts Maris otta for £19.10.

A cheap source of electricity would be nice!
Which brewery? Bristol Craft Brewers have sourced Malt thorough Arbor Ales for a little less than that.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com