Live Yeast

SteveW

Live Yeast

Post by SteveW »

Today I chucked lots of Live Gervin yeast down the sink at the end of fermenting my Kingston Amber Ale.

As I did this I thought 'What a Waste!' and thought it might be an idea to post when I am due to do this again and if someone wanted some yeast they could pick it up from me or maybe exchange yeasts in a local pub! (Not too local to me though as the pubs don't make it into the Good Beer Guide and for a reason!)

I tend to drop my beer into another fermenter after about 24 hours so, so it would be largely free of trub etc.

I could supply a good jam jar of fresh yeast and keep it in the fridge until collection or delivery.

What do people think? So much better than a sachet or two of dried yeast!

I will raise this at the next meeting.
The craft beer revolution will not be sanitised!
(Apologies to Gil Scott-Heron)
I_used_to_brew

Re: Live Yeast

Post by I_used_to_brew »

It's a very good idea Steve. I often use leftover yeast for baking bread.

My local only has Courage Beast and Bath Ales Gem but i'd meet up anywhere near a bus route - the Old Stillage is fairly convenient, let me know when you're brewing next :)

You're obviously more than welcome to come here too and try whatever brews are 'on'.
SteveW

Re: Live Yeast

Post by SteveW »

On Sunday 31st April I will have some 4th. Generation Gervin Ale Yeast available.
Let me know if you want it.
I can deliver locally by Bicycle in the central Bristol and Fishponds area or meet you at the Old Stillage in Redfield.

Best time for me would be while I am Mashing, around midday!

If you have any 'interesting' yeasts please let me know.

Would anyone interested in some Wyeast 1028 London Yeast? I hope to use it in the next Month or so and would have some available then.
The craft beer revolution will not be sanitised!
(Apologies to Gil Scott-Heron)