ProjeKt 15 - Brew#1 - Two Tons!

I_used_to_brew

Re: ProjeKt 15 - Brew#1 - Two Tons!

Post by I_used_to_brew »

SandyM wrote:I'm a little pissed on Spanissh larger!
Don't worry, when we get you back home, a good wash out with caustic and a splash of Star-San and we'll have you ready for some proper beer.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

This is now more or less at final gravity, around 1.016.

It's got a great amount of body, nice malty tones, the bitterness is right up there maybe not 100ibu as predicted but close to my palate. Not a harsh bitterness, overall a very smooth drink.

We'll keg this at the weekend :)
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

How did this turn out?
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

mrlard wrote:How did this turn out?
Pretty 'interesting', needs some time. Looking at my consumption rate and number of full CK's, I'll be tapping this in about 12 months.
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

RogerP wrote:I'll be tapping this in about 12 months.
Will it last that long? Don't forget you didn't use any hops early on in the boil, so it's doubtful that you got much preservative quality out of them.

The general consensus on the best way of doing big late hop beers like this is to drop a few IBU's (7-10) in at 60 mins and then blitzkrieg hops late or end of boil. Using a low alpha hop at 60 mins means you can use enough to get the desired preservative effect.

I'd also be interested to see if the diacetyl gets cleaned up in that time, though the pressure in the keg might inhibit this. Could be a bit of a balancing act in terms of hitting the ideal condition for drinking....
Eat sh*t or die trying
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

The keg its in seals without internal pressure, but I did apply 20psi and released it to 6psi to purge some O2 (theoretical, but I do it for kicks anyway)

Pressure has increased and I release it from time to time. I kegged several points high as I needed the FV's so it was slightly cloudy (This is something I used to do, but do less of nowadays). I suspect 'normal' homebrew pressures are unlikely to affect yeast.

Fortunately I'm less susceptible to diacetyl than some so I'll most likely be happy to drink it when the time comes.

Oddly I can smell acetone from a mile away having woked with it for many years. Same with several other chemicals which crop up in beer as faults.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

And what if the diacetyl is the product of a pediococcus infection (some strains of ped can throw lots of diacetyl)? It could be getting worse....

And do you have the only kegs of this, or do your co-brewers also have some (and if so, what's their's like)?
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

alikocho wrote:And what if the diacetyl is the product of a pediococcus infection (some strains of ped can throw lots of diacetyl)? It could be getting worse....
Then I shall market it as a nu-beer, an Imperial Lambic to all the local trustafarians and make a packet :)

alikocho wrote:And do you have the only kegs of this, or do your co-brewers also have some (and if so, what's their's like)?
Sandy and Connor have some, but they've probably drunk it by now :o

If it has to get used as drain cleaner then it's OK, at least I didn't aim to make a sour beer and at much less than 2% of my drinks stocks, losing 19litres is no great shakes, I got so much enjoyment out of the days brewing :@)
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Okies, I relented and cracked open a bottle, just a few glugs and the rest saved for cooking (it's a school night...). Bottled on 1st Feb, seven weeks ago.

Bottle opened with a slight hiss and beer poured with a decent head which formed some lace and lingered during the sampling. Carbonation consistent with bottling a few points high and not priming. The amber and caraaroma malts punch through as the dominant aromas against a background slightly spicy hop aroma, some alcohol evident on the nose too. Smooth mouthfeel, same malts as in the aroma showing through then a massive spicy, slightly sweet bitterness, almost mouth numbing when combined with the alcohol. Long, long, lingering bitter finish.

Overall impression: Might have been nicer with a hop other than Goldings, I still reckon it will go on to improve.

Be interested to hear what Sandy and Connor think of theirs.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

So, this did go on to improve, sampled at the Feb BCB meeting, still got a 9 litre corney of it :)