25Kg sacks of pale ale malt for £14.77

vacant

25Kg sacks of pale ale malt for £14.77

Post by vacant »

Hi guys,

The Homebrew Company are selling 25Kg sacks of Minch Pale Ale Malt for 19.95 EUROS or about £14.77.

To get that price, order from their Irish .IE web site and make your order in EUROS, letting Paypal do the currency exchange when you pay. Their other grains are cheap too though hops are a bit more expensive than Worcester Hop Shop where I normally do my 6-monthly order.

(Don't select Pounds Sterling on their .IE web site as the exchange rate isn't as good as Paypal so you'll pay higher prices - £17.91. Don't just go to their British .CO.UK site as you'll pay even more - £21.56)

I did an order Saturday evening, dispatched Monday, arrived today. Their leaf hops are mostly 2013 harvest, their pellet hops are mostly 2014. Of course if the Euro falls against the Pound, you can all post how much less than me you paid.

25Kg Minch malt Irish site (one bag per order).
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
I_used_to_brew

Re: 25Kg sacks of pale ale malt for £21.40

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I may be missing something, but 19.95 Euro for the sack, shipping 8.95 Euro and VAT@ 23% of 3.73 Euro is a grand total of 28.90 Euro or about £21.40. Good for online price, but, it's a malt I've never heard of and will cost more than Warminster Marris Otter bought through BCB.
vacant

Re: 25Kg sacks of pale ale malt for £14.77

Post by vacant »

RogerP wrote:I may be missing something
Hi Roger,

VAT is included (16.22 EURO ex VAT @23% = 19.95 EURO inc) plus it was my 6-monthly order.

Twice a year I need to order around 5Kg of other grains/hops/chemical/sundries. At that weight the delivery charge from the places I have used is the same as for 30Kg so a 25Kg sack is effectively delivered to my door for free.

It's all right for you townies, I'd have to add anywhere between £4 (just petrol) to £10 (40p/mile) to collect from Bristol, add say £6 to BCB grain price.
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Aye, the VAT is listed but, as you say, it's included. Still £21.40 delivered, it's not bad at all.

Could you get anything from RCH or Buttcum as you're halfway between them.
vacant

Post by vacant »

RogerP wrote:Could you get anything from RCH or Buttcum as you're halfway between them.
Are you implying that the sort of beers I brew just use the commonest hops and malts? ... You'd be right.

I popped into Butcombe's a couple of year's ago to see their "shop". They only sold tee shirts, glasses, key rings and other trinkets that people are meant to buy after a brewery tour. Sterile, not even a few scattered hops and grains for atmosphere.