How to get the dunkel-ness in a dunkelweizen

steve crawshaw

Re: How to get the dunkel-ness in a dunkelweizen

Post by steve crawshaw »

I really enjoyed this last night. Any further tips on process \ recipe as I would like to attempt a dunkel soon(ish).
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
EckersKlein

Post by EckersKlein »

Sure thing. Here's my brew notes, augmented with some recently-added commentary:
"Strike water added to yield a 44C mash for 15m. Pulled 1/3 of volume for decoction, which was raised to 68C for 15m in a big pot on my stove, then boiled for 10m. The idea here was to convert those sugars before the decoction was boiled. The decoction was quite thick, perhaps 50/50 grains to liquid by volume.

After boiling, decoction was pitched back into mash, giving mash temp of 64C, a bit under my target. In compensation, boiling water was added to get 69C sach rest. Add'l decoction info, including a handy equation for how much volume to pull for decoction: http://brewery.org/library/DecoctFAQ.html

Fermented at 16°C for four days, ramped up to 18° for remainder. Bottled after two weeks. No finings added.

If I could do it again, I'd probably add a bit more Caramunich III for color, but it's hard for me to say if that wouldn't throw the flavor off-balance, as I don't have a feel for how potent Caramunich III is.

Good luck, can't wait to try yours!
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

cheers mate, hope to give it a go soon.
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.