Beer bottle bear
Bristol Brewers

Last visit was: It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How to get the dunkel-ness in a dunkelweizen
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:36 pm 

I really enjoyed this last night. Any further tips on process \ recipe as I would like to attempt a dunkel soon(ish).
cheers
steve

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:48 pm 

Sure thing. Here's my brew notes, augmented with some recently-added commentary:
"Strike water added to yield a 44C mash for 15m. Pulled 1/3 of volume for decoction, which was raised to 68C for 15m in a big pot on my stove, then boiled for 10m. The idea here was to convert those sugars before the decoction was boiled. The decoction was quite thick, perhaps 50/50 grains to liquid by volume.

After boiling, decoction was pitched back into mash, giving mash temp of 64C, a bit under my target. In compensation, boiling water was added to get 69C sach rest. Add'l decoction info, including a handy equation for how much volume to pull for decoction: http://brewery.org/library/DecoctFAQ.html

Fermented at 16°C for four days, ramped up to 18° for remainder. Bottled after two weeks. No finings added.

If I could do it again, I'd probably add a bit more Caramunich III for color, but it's hard for me to say if that wouldn't throw the flavor off-balance, as I don't have a feel for how potent Caramunich III is.

Good luck, can't wait to try yours!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:13 pm 

cheers mate, hope to give it a go soon.
steve

Offline Profile