Mangrove Jack's Yeast Re-use

Jeltz69

Mangrove Jack's Yeast Re-use

Post by Jeltz69 »

This came up in conversation between me, Tim and Roger at Monday's meeting and the consensus was that its bullsh1t aimed at getting you to buy more yeast. Having e-pitched into a Brown Ale Yesterday I can confirm that is is bubbling away quite nicely today, I shall report back on flavour later.
I_used_to_brew

Re: Mangrove Jack's Yeast Re-use

Post by I_used_to_brew »

From elsewhere a quote from a rep from MJ.

"In terms of re-pitching the yeast. The reason it says not suitable for re-pitching is the changes in the flavour profile when you do so (over our 4 years of testing it was found the profiles change over generations of the yeast). It is not to say that you can not re-pitch, just that if you wanted a consistant yeast character then use a new one each time."

the reply was...

"well all yeasts change with generations, i seriously doubt theirs is special and changes more than any other yeast. so yeah, i call BS. if you take their position you should never repitch yeast. that is a rather convenient position to take if you're a yeast manufacturer."

My take...

The only other ever possible reasons could be if they were concerned about a relatively high contamination rate or the yeast was a blend.

So, I reckon BS.