Evening Brewers,

I'm brewing up a Scottish style ale that looks something like this

pale ale malt (85%ish of bill)
crystal malt
roasted barley
Scottish heather honey
possibly some malted oats
brewers gold & fuggles or nothern brewer

I'm also going to use some Scottish mineral water (committed to the theme!)

I was planning on using a Scottish ale yeast, I've checked the local brew shops and haven't found any, I've checked malt miller and found one at £6.50 which seems steep for a packet of yeast (http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.ph ... ductId=174). Also i'm completely unfamiliar with liquid yeast.

Can anyone suggest a yeast that would fit with this style? I was thinking the Danstar Windsor.
Has anyone used the Edinburgh Scottish Ale Yeast WLP028 or know anything about it?

Any thoughts are welcome, Cheers, Iain.
steve crawshaw

Re: Yeast suggestions - scottish ale

Post by steve crawshaw »

WLP028 would fit. I'm just about to do a wee heavy using it. It's suited to high gravity malty beers but apparently does very well in a hop forward style too. For a liquid yeast a starter is essential. follow the steps in palmer's how to brew or online tutorials. pitch the starter as soon as the receiving wort is within 6 degrees of starter temps, ideally 20C. If you are averse to liquid yeast a general purpose ale yeast would do, though as you seem to be going for authenticity, go for the WLP028.
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.