Crap old hops??

I_used_to_brew

Crap old hops??

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Before I go and buy a bag of those sad old hops you find on dusty shelves in HB shops, does anyone have some really old hops that they have stored really badly?

I am going to make a Lambic of some description.
Capn Ahab

Re: Crap old hops??

Post by Capn Ahab »

I've been storing some Bramling Cross in a paperbag in the loft for the past couple of years. Doubt I'll be getting round to a lambic anytime soon, so you're welcome to them. I'll check if they're cheesy.
Eat sh*t or die trying
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Thanks Mark, I will only need 100g.
vacant

Post by vacant »

How about a kilo of flyer hops for a fiver? Plenty more here
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

RogerP wrote:Thanks Mark, I will only need 100g.
I think they weighed around 250 g when I put them up there, but have no idea what they weigh now. Presumably a lot less due to moisture loss. I'll check later.
Eat sh*t or die trying
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

vacant wrote:How about a kilo of flyer hops for a fiver? Plenty more here
Not a bad shout Paul, I suspect they are not crap enough! For a lambic they need to have lost the will to live, which is why I was thinking of those sad old bags of fuggles you see in hardware shops with a little HB section :)
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

Just had a look. They now weigh 41g including the paper bag, but obviously weighed an awful lot more once upon a time. It's actually quite surprising how light they are! Anyway they are just papery golden brown wisps with nary a spot o resin, oil or chlorophyll twixt the lot of em. They also smell of absolutely nothing.

If you wannem they're yours.
Eat sh*t or die trying
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Capn Ahab wrote:Just had a look. They now weigh 41g including the paper bag, but obviously weighed an awful lot more once upon a time. It's actually quite surprising how light they are! Anyway they are just papery golden brown wisps with nary a spot o resin, oil or chlorophyll twixt the lot of em. They also smell of absolutely nothing.

If you wannem they're yours.
Yes please Mark, I can't make BBC (clashes now monthly with another commitment) but sure I can pick them up some time.