Jasmine Rice

monty1

Jasmine Rice

Post by monty1 »

I'm planning a Thai inspired beer for a future batch, I was thinking that rice would form part of the grain bill and was wondering if Jasmine rice would work. Anyone ever tried this?
steve crawshaw

Re: Jasmine Rice

Post by steve crawshaw »

i don't think you'd get much jasmine, and mashing with rice sounds problematic to me. Rice will just thin out the beer and you may as well use sugar for that. plus i imaging rice might cause a stuck mash.

For a nice Thai PA, try this

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/186319/thai-pa

the galangal is a very nice addition to a hoppy IPA, just don't overdo it.
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
monty1

Post by monty1 »

Looks nice, I like the idea of using palm sugar - read about using it last night actually in "Designing Great Beers".

As far as i understand it rice is added to quite a few commercial beers - is that purely to just bulk out the fermentables and use less barley?
Does it not impart much flavour? or is just that in this case, it won' really impart any jasmine and i'm better off using pure barley
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

monty1 wrote: - is that purely to just bulk out the fermentables and use less barley?
Does it not impart much flavour? or is just that in this case, it won' really impart any jasmine and i'm better off using pure barley
both i think
I tasted a jasmine beer recently at the beer emporium i think. A bit like drinking the Body Shop.
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Post by Taz Ales »

Mashing with rice is fine, and quite common in some styles. It's generally used to increase gravity without imparting any flavour or colour.
If you're not using flaked rice you'll need to boil it a bit first to hydrate it.

However, I agree with Steve... I doubt you'll get much, if any jasmine flavour or aroma into the beer.
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.