Oaked Oatmeal Stout

Capn Ahab

Oaked Oatmeal Stout

Post by Capn Ahab »

Big brewday to go in my new 50 litre oak barrel for aging in Jeddere's undercroft.

60 litres at 1.065

10.28 kg Maris Otter 58 %
1.418 kg Munich Malt 8 %
1.418 kg Roasted Barley 8 %
1.418 kg Oatmeal 8 %
1.064 kg Chocolate Malt 6 %
1.064 kg Crystal Malt 6 %
0.709 kg Oat Malt 4 %
0.355 kg Special B 2 %

Mashed at 152 F / 67 C

Hops
EKG to 35 IBU (Rager) @ 60 mins (of a 75 minute boil)
EKG to 5 IBU (Rager) @ 10 mins
EKG amount equal to 10 min addition @ 0 mins

WLP007

As we boiled outside, boil off may have been slightly less fierce than expected (it's still chilling), so we might end up with a bit more volume at a slightly lower OG. Hey ho, first time we have done a collaborative brew using two sets of kit, and first time I have done the boil outside, so things to consider for next time.

The oak odour has completely permeated the undercroft having been sitting there empty since January. When you take the bung out, it smells strongly of spiced rum inside. May not need that long in contact with the oak....
Eat sh*t or die trying
steve crawshaw

Re: Oaked Oatmeal Stout

Post by steve crawshaw »

Sounds good. How was the lautering in the new mash tun? Did you pre cook the oats?
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

steve crawshaw wrote:Sounds good. How was the lautering in the new mash tun? Did you pre cook the oats?
steve
The oats were organic porridge oats and were pretty well rolled so we mashed then with the other grains as normal. The new mash tun is sweet, but does have a fair bit more dead space than the one I used to use. Sam/Jeddere has a very handy little home made HLT that sits on top of his mash tun allowing him to fly-sparge, which was much more efficient than my batch sparge. I might have to put something similar on my project list.
Eat sh*t or die trying
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

Barrelled this last night and tasted good on transfer. We siphoned about 58 litres into a 50 litre barrel and still had about two inches of headspace, which was slightly worrying. I'm hoping there will be further yeast activity that will drive off o2 and blanket the beer in co2 as it had stopped at 1.024 as of yesterday.

The oak smell is very powerful.
Eat sh*t or die trying
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

This has really smoothed out after 19 days in the barrel. The bitterness has mellowed and the oak comes through real nice on the finish. We are working on the basis that we don't want an oak bomb, but something you could drink several of without it getting sickly. It has a really good coffee, choc maltiness that is complementee by the fruity yeast. I can't wait to drink more of it!
Eat sh*t or die trying