I went to Brewdog last night

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
Capn Ahab

I went to Brewdog last night

Post by Capn Ahab »

It's shit.
Eat sh*t or die trying
steve crawshaw

Re: I went to Brewdog last night

Post by steve crawshaw »

Capn Ahab wrote:It's shit.
That's a succinct review ;-)

I would say that the beers are good but expensive. The ambience - well it's not really my cup of tea, but then I am approaching old geezerhood. The acoustics are very poor, but that goes for many places in Bristol.

steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Lots of kiddies drinking the strongest beer there is, some of the beers are stunning. 5am saint for example is so so very good, but the trashy blonde was rubbish. The beers are rather variable.

The prices are rather unbelievable for sure. Is it crap? Not sure. Not somewhere to spend a whole drinking session for certain.
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

I just can't stomach all the pseudo-radical rebel wank. The irony of 'beer for punks' would be absolutely laughable if it weren't so cynical.
Eat sh*t or die trying
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

Well they may have some funny views I am with roger - 5am saint is a stunning beer.

I take my hat of to anyone who can turn a micro into a successful franchise - regardless of their marketing strategy.
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

mrlard wrote:I take my hat of to anyone who can turn a micro into a successful franchise.
Well you can't really argue with that. But I do feel that their gimmick might wear thin with a lot of people at some point - it certainly rubs me the wrong way. I may be wrong though.

FWIW I have never been that impressed with any of their beers - 5am saint included - especially when you compare them to the kernel, who manage to get more hop flavour in their beers, keep the malts well balanced and manage to not be twats. The beers I had on Friday had that distinct flavour, as Stuart Howe puts it, of glade plug-in.

I also thought the atmosphere was poor and contrary to previous reports, the bar staff were not hot.

At least I don't have to go again :-)
Eat sh*t or die trying
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

I've not been because:

a) It's so bloody expensive
b) Their whole marketing thing annoys me enough to make me not want to drink their beers

Now I read that the acoustics are crap as well, that's the nail in the coffin then.

Basically, I agree with Mark!
James

BJCP Certified Judge
SamTait

Post by SamTait »

I end up in there reasonably regularly - it's hellish in the evening but ok in the afternoon. Some of their beers are meh, bUt there are some crackers (recently been impressed with Jackhammer and the Imperial Coffee and chocolate stout)

And yes, their marketing does piss me off, but it's for them to where they are in a very short time ...
disasterjustavoided

Post by disasterjustavoided »

Having spent £18 drinking a third of each of their drinks I have to say I was a fan but now I'm less so having drank them all.

I still like punk IPA and yes 5AM saint is good too. Very much agree with the Ok to meh and even not that great for the rest, in the case of dead pony club yep it was just like having a Findus lasagne! They do however, have beer from other breweries that isn't bad the Wild beer Wildlebeest porter, a mikkeller porter were good and the time before they had Magic 8 ball, magic rock on tap - a bloody great beer. I would go again just to try non-brew dog beer, but not for a whole night.
juliancheal

Post by juliancheal »

In my defence Mark, when I was in there last I was drunk, so may have had beer goggles while looking at the bar staff.