Goodbye Grain barge..... Hello bigger BBF

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
PMowdes

Goodbye Grain barge..... Hello bigger BBF

Post by PMowdes »

Did anyone else see this...... (taken from http://bristolculture.wordpress.com/)

The Grain Barge has been put up for sale by Bristol Beer Factory in order to raise funds for its brewery to expand. Simon Bartlett, the managing director of Bristol Beer Factory, told The Post: “With its prominent site and great range of food and drink, the Grain Barge has played an important role in the success of the brewery.

“Now that we have established a strong local and national reputation we have decided to consolidate our business with the development of our Ashton premises and brewing operation and favour the development of more traditional local pubs such as the Barley Mow in the Dings.”

Bristol Beer Factory looks set to follow in the footsteps of Bath Ales, whose Warmley brewery more than doubled in size last year.

Yet Bath Ales’ expansion has also seen them open new pubs, bars and restaurants as far afield as Oxford and Cirencester, and with the sale of the Grain Barge, the Barley Mow will be the only pub with the Bristol Beer Factory name above its door.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
SteveW

Re: Goodbye Grain barge..... Hello bigger BBF

Post by SteveW »

Oh Dear!

Bath Ales are NOT an example to follow. I remember when Bath Ales started, the beers were great a few friends set up a brewery because they loved beer, but as time went on it turned into a business then a big business getting into bed with supermarkets etc the beer quality stumbled then fell off the map. Bath Ales is not a micro brewery any more its a big business the just happens to sell beer, now very, very poor beer.

I really hope the BBF does not go the same way!
The craft beer revolution will not be sanitised!
(Apologies to Gil Scott-Heron)
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Yep, when I came to Bristol Gem was a good beer. I will never buy it again, since the dip and inconsistency in quality. I now avoid Bath Ales like the plaque.

I think BBF will be ok as long as they keep some key personell. Simon certainly isn't going to let it go down the pan.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
disasterjustavoided

Post by disasterjustavoided »

... mentioned this to a carpenter mate the other night and he's starting work on a Barley Mow revamp next week. Apparently they are hoping to open more pubs in the longer term.