Chilis

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
Mike Palmer

Chilis

Post by Mike Palmer »

Anyone fancy sending some chilis (especially the little round orange ones - I'm looking directly at you Rog) to the far North? If I have to look at another red finger (I put forty in a lamb curry, to little effect) I'll cry. Will swap for knitted insoles, velcro gloves, or pieces of paper with the Queen's face on if preferred.
Long live SHA(T)!
I_used_to_brew

Re: Chilis

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I froze all mine so I can't post them unless you want mush on arrival! Next time I make sauce I can do a purée and send it :)
Mike Palmer

Post by Mike Palmer »

Sweet. What about seeds?
Long live SHA(T)!
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Mike Palmer wrote:Sweet. What about seeds?
I don't bother removing them.
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

Have a look at this place.... http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/hot_chili_pepper_seed.htm

There are so many different types it's hard to choose. Rich Poole and I have grown the Moruga yellow. Hot as hell with a kinda of citrus pineapple taste.

Get them quick though, it's nearly time to get propagating.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

PMowdes wrote:Have a look at this place.... http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/hot_chili_pepper_seed.htm

There are so many different types it's hard to choose. Rich Poole and I have grown the Moruga yellow. Hot as hell with a kinda of citrus pineapple taste.

Get them quick though, it's nearly time to get propagating.

I am going to try growing my plants in DWC this year as it's easy to set up and maintain. So will be sowing in grodan blocks.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

RogerP wrote: I am going to try growing my plants in DWC this year as it's easy to set up and maintain. So will be sowing in grodan blocks.
Hmm.. DWC is particularly prone to air pump failure IMO, though does produce spectacular growth when running well. If you want to try a small NFT system or autopots let me know, I have some knocking about. Autopots and coco coir work well and are less prone to failure than DWC.
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I had thought of NFT or ebb and flood but quite liked the simplicity of DWC with a submersible air pump. Quite a lot of info over at http://chillisgalore.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php (you'll need to register to see the hydro section).
What NFT system have you tried Steve?

Probably only going to grow the Aji Limo (C. baccatum), Trinidad Moruga Scorpion (C. chinense) and another unnamed Habanero type (C. chinense) if it continues to overwinter well.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

DWC does lend itself well to DIY, I made my own quite cheaply. Problem is that those cheap aquarium pumps can fail quite readily and in a few short hours your plants can be starved of oxygen to the roots.

I just had a small NFT about 2 x 3 feet using an aquarium pump. It's still knocking about in my cellar. Once the root mat gets substantial you can put the pump on a segment timer which sort of turns it into an ebb and flood system. Critical thing with all hydro systems is pH. I eventually went over to coco \ perlite and autopots, which is still a kind of hydro really but I think more natural for the plants as it gives a substrate for the roots but still allows plenty of oxygen to them. Also this is more tolerant of pH fluctuation. Anyway, I think we might be digressing from the beer subject..!

cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

General chat,topic chillis no way is this OT. Autopots are a blast from the past. Might just work, any way to keep the plants alive and not have to rely on other people watering if I'm away.