Raspberry Pi

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
vacant

Raspberry Pi

Post by vacant »

I got one of the 512MB versions on Wednesday. What a cracking piece of kit for £25. I've tried Arch Linux Arm since I use Arch Linux but will probably stick with Raspbmc for a while. Raspbmc is a graphics-accelerated Arm version of XBMC (top eye candy).

Today I got it streaming 720p video and music from my laptop (nfs server). I'm using a wireless dongle in one usb port and a wireless mouse/keyboard dongle in the other though I've had Synergy controlling it too (move the mouse off the top of the laptop screen and it appears on the TV, while it's there the laptop keyboard controls the Pi).

I got a transparent case for a few quid off eBay just so I can see the lights flickering.
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
mrlard

Re: Raspberry Pi

Post by mrlard »

They are brilliant aren't they. I think it's a nice idea to try and get kids/adults programming I been looking at using one to control mash, hlt temps and fermenter temps instead of pid etc.... I''ll keep you posted
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

I've been hearing a lot about these recently. Think I'll have to get one...
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
vacant

Post by vacant »

mrlard wrote:I been looking at using one to control mash, hlt temps and fermenter temps instead of pid etc.... I''ll keep you posted
Will you use a Gertboard?
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

No pots using an arduino board as the interface - Google brewpi fair play to the chap he made it all open source
Mike Palmer

Post by Mike Palmer »

I have a respandulated discombobulator too. It is shiny and there are things that spin about. Occasionally it whistles too.
Long live SHA(T)!
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

I have my 512 MB Pi, it is working headless via SSH and VNC as I have no HDMI on my monitor. Tenda Wireless dongle just worked. Running raspbian wheezy at present but will tinker with raspBMC shortly. Pretty amazing technology for £25.
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

they are cracking bits of kit - I first looked at getting one when they were released but you had more chance of standing in rocking horse shite good to see they have sorted out the supply

I must resist :-)
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

For those who haven't seen it already, an intriguing application for the RPi related to our hobby..

BrewPi

steve