Zero Degrees: What say you?

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
EckersKlein

Post by EckersKlein »

I'm wondering about your opinions on Zero Degrees. I've just had a (surprisingly) good hoppy pale ale, but also a joke of a hefe. Curious to see what the rest of the homebrewing guild thinks of their brews.

Does anyone know of other brewpubs in the area? They're a real growth market in the States these days, but I guess the laws and tax structures are different there.
I_used_to_brew

Re: Zero Degrees: What say you?

Post by I_used_to_brew »

EckersKlein wrote:I'm wondering about your opinions on Zero Degrees. I've just had a (surprisingly) good hoppy pale ale, but also a joke of a hefe. Curious to see what the rest of the homebrewing guild thinks of their brews.

Does anyone know of other brewpubs in the area? They're a real growth market in the States these days, but I guess the laws and tax structures are different there.
What homebrewing guild?

Zero degrees (Bristol) to me is a big concrete cavernous shed that serves truly awful, ulcer inducing, food. The IPA isn't too shabby but the black l*ger is super. Oddly they never take the black l*ger to outside events.

With much better places to drink and dine I don't go there very often.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

I agree. For me the acoustics are the worst aspect of the place. I find it very unpleasant. I have received a mini keg of their pale ale though, which was OK, not outstanding.
s
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
MapperMatt

Post by MapperMatt »

I pretty much agree with Roger and Steve. The black lager is really good. A bit too roasty really but I quite like that. Jamil Zainisheff has a recipe for a fairly roasty schwarzbier in Brewing Classic Styles. I figured I would give it a go soon to see if it comes out anything like the Zero degrees black lager....
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

Haven't been there for a while! Their food used to be spot on in the early days now it's shite - as for the beer I am a was a big fan of their happy hour last time I managed a fair few pales was a very nice tipple - but consistency doesn't seem to be their thing.

I much prefer the yard!
periolus

Post by periolus »

I only drink the black lager, which I do love. I found the Pale to be inconsistent, but that it is pretty nice. The fruit beer is too sickly and the pilsner was just okay for me. I like going there with Mrs. H on the way to the Three Tuns - it breaks the journey and it feels like we are having a good old night out ; )

I reckon we'll go to Brewdog instead once it's open. Instead of Zero Degrees, that is.
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
EckersKlein

Post by EckersKlein »

Managed a return visit, and I have to agree that the Black Lager is probably the best on tap. On a side note, is it really a lager?
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

EckersKlein wrote:Managed a return visit, and I have to agree that the Black L*ger is probably the best on tap. On a side note, is it really a l*ger?
I think it's bottom fermented, under pressure, not sure how long it is actually l*gered for but, yep, it is a l*ger afaik.
I_used_to_brew

New beer

Post by I_used_to_brew »

They have just launched a 4.3% ABV dark smoked mild. Innovation at Zero degrees!! I will have to try and fit this in sometime soon.
periolus

Post by periolus »

I like the sound of that! Might need a visit soon.
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA