enquiry

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
rodneygullick

enquiry

Post by rodneygullick »

I am still trying to find out why I a getting off tastes in my beer the day before I brew I put 10 gallons of water with 1 campden in a black polythene dust bin could this be part of my problems if so I have the chance of reasonably sized s/steel beer barrel for free which should hold at least 10 gallons but it would involve a lot of work to cut one end off so at the moment it is a matter of elimination Rodney
alikocho

Re: enquiry

Post by alikocho »

black polyethylene isn't good for storage of water. Could well be it.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Rodney, unless it's food grade it shouldn't be used. It's not just the off-flavours, but who knows what chemicals you are ingesting and poisoning yourself with.

For your next brew get off to a supermarket and buy some cheap bottled water, often less than £1 for a 5 litre bottle and don't treat it, do nothing. The other thing I would do would be to pitch a packet of decent dried yeast (even the beer yeast from Wilkinsons is actually 'Nottingham'). Do not make a starter and don't re-hydrate, just sprinkle it on.

Is there anything else in the system that's not food grade? Pipes? Boiler etc?
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

black bin liners are lowest grade recycled plastic - smell it. All sorts of volatile nasties coming off that, and a large surface area. Stainless will be best for water \ brewing. This may be the issue, but my money is still on either an infection or some residual taint from maybe the christmas beer (clovey).

cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
periolus

enquiry

Post by periolus »

I would put money on your barrel tap being an issue. They need removing, stripping down, cleaning & sanitising fairly regularly.
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
periolus

enquiry

Post by periolus »

I would put money on your barrel tap being an issue. They need removing, stripping down, cleaning & sanitising fairly regularly.
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

I think Roger's suggestion of bottled water is a good idea.

Doing this will remove the black plastic concern and you can then see what impact this has had.

I would also clean the tap as Barnaby is suggesting. I would do this as a matter of course to maintain a sanitised enviroment for your beer.

Doing both may cloud what was the actual problem but both seem like good, simple ideas to implement.
James

BJCP Certified Judge
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

Hi rod

If you want your beer barrel knocking into shape drop it around I will knock a few shades out of it with my grinder

:-)
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

thanks for the offer but my cousin has the barrel he also has a work shop where he does a lot of wrought iron work he would probably knock the end out for me with a torch I have seen the barrel at a glance but I am not quite sure if it will hold 10 gallons or not I will know more next week when I have a good look at it Rodney
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

I have acquired the s/steel barrel problem is it is not big enough for what I wanted it for I wanted it to put 10 gallons 60 liters of water in but it is only a 50 liter one so I will atempt to convert it into a boiler at a later date may be Rodney