Diacetyl is baaaad

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
I_used_to_brew

Diacetyl is baaaad

Post by I_used_to_brew »

periolus

Re: Diacetyl is baaaad

Post by periolus »

Ali forced me to smell a number of beer samples over a period of months, some of which were contaminated with this awful chemical. I'll see him in Court.

; )

The worst part is, I couldn't avoid the stuff if I wanted to - I can't detect it. Even if other people are recoiling in horror at the buttery aroma and flavour, I am utterly oblivious. A percentage of people are genetically rendered incapable of picking it up apparently.

Oh well.

I don't think we have anything to worry about as judges. I would be more worried about consuming alcohol.
alikocho

Re: Diacetyl is baaaad

Post by alikocho »

periolus wrote:Ali forced me to smell a number of beer samples over a period of months, some of which were contaminated with this awful chemical. I'll see him in Court.

; )

The worst part is, I couldn't avoid the stuff if I wanted to - I can't detect it. Even if other people are recoiling in horror at the buttery aroma and flavour, I am utterly oblivious. A percentage of people are genetically rendered incapable of picking it up apparently.

Oh well.

I don't think we have anything to worry about as judges. I would be more worried about consuming alcohol.
I hate diacetyl. I'm very sensitive to it, but can tolerate low levels.

My americanization in terms of beer probably furthers my tastes.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
periolus

Diacetyl is baaaad

Post by periolus »

I get the same for acetaldehyde; I am extremely sensitive to it! Two judges on Saturday were trying to establish if it was present. When I sniffed the beer, my head was practically ripped off by the s ell of green apples. It was hard work to detect malt through it!
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
SamTait

Diacetyl is baaaad

Post by SamTait »

I seem to have escaped the 'useful' sensitivities to beer flaws, but feed me anything with aspartame in and I can tell ...