OT: Summer Burn 2011

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
Taz Ales
Site Admin

OT: Summer Burn 2011

Post by Taz Ales »

Nothing to do with brewing, but I thought I'd let you know that the Summer Burn is running this year, and registration is now open. The Summer Burn is an annual international mix CD swap, which I've been running for about seven or eight years now, and is one of the reasons why I'm always so bloody busy.

More details on the site if you're interested.
http://www.funjunkie.co.uk
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.
SandyM

Re: OT: Summer Burn 2011

Post by SandyM »

Hmm, interesting, I haver been running a Bristol CD swap (charmingly titled 'Sexy Sandy's Seedy CD Soiree') for about 2 years now but just among friends. We gave up on actually burning CD's at the last one though since most people were just creating folders and sticking them on data sticks. I have thought about hosting all the mixes for public download but decided against it on the grounds I didn't want to get sued by the music industry.

Recently thought about creating a bit torrent for all the files but figured there weren't enough people involved to bother. Have you thought about doing this? It would mean everyone would get everyone else's mixes rather than just 2. I'd be happy to contribute what we have so far, it amounts to about 630 tracks over 33 mix cd's.
Burns stuff. And makes beer. Usually not at the same time.
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Re: OT: Summer Burn 2011

Post by Taz Ales »

This is a topic that comes up every year.

The thing about the Summer Burn is that it's more about the creation and the social interaction, than the chance to get some free music. We limit it to 3 way swaps because of logistics, and the time and money people would have to spend to get dozens of CDs sent around the world.

We do CDs rather than sharing MP3s because firstly, everybody has access to spotify so anyone can organise a track share. Sharing MP3s is also sailing very close to the wind in terms of legality, and since anyone would be able to download those MP3s we and everyone involved would be likely to get into trouble with the music industry.

Most of the people who take part in the Burn put loads of time and effort into creating their CDs, including the artwork which in some cases have been artistic creations in their own right. If you follow the flickr link on the website you'll see what I mean.

There's something really personal about the experience. Essentially it's all about sending off gifts to 2 complete strangers somewhere in the world, and hopefully receiving something in return.
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.