What to do with spent grain - an idea from NYC and chickens

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
lancs_Steve

Re: What to do with spent grain - an idea from NYC and chick

Post by lancs_Steve »

I advertised on freecycle up here in Lancaster and got a list of local people with chickens or pigs or horses glad to take the grains. I just drop a text, leave them out the front and they pick up and leave me some feed and occasionally some eggs (bacon once). Pigs will eat the hops else those go on my compost.

Sure it would works will in Bristol's Freecycle judging by the number of hippies living around the community centre ;-)
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

lancs_Steve wrote:I advertised on freecycle up here in Lancaster and got a list of local people with chickens or pigs or horses glad to take the grains. I just drop a text, leave them out the front and they pick up and leave me some feed and occasionally some eggs (bacon once). Pigs will eat the hops else those go on my compost.

Sure it would works will in Bristol's Freecycle judging by the number of hippies living around the community centre ;-)
Hippies, they're everywhere etc etc....

There's the city farm in st Werburghs (same village as the community centre for the sake of non-bristolians) whose pigs yum up mine and a few other brewers' malt. Have to pay for Bacon though :-(

This scheme in NY sounds more like a formal arrangement, rather than a disposal facility (and as such is way hippy man) and would need a confluence of complimentary needs to implement and maintain yo.
Eat sh*t or die trying
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Capn Ahab wrote:
lancs_Steve wrote:I advertised on freecycle up here in Lancaster and got a list of local people with chickens or pigs or horses glad to take the grains. I just drop a text, leave them out the front and they pick up and leave me some feed and occasionally some eggs (bacon once). Pigs will eat the hops else those go on my compost.

Hippies, they're everywhere etc etc....

There's the city farm in st Werburghs (same village as the community centre for the sake of non-bristolians) whose pigs yum up mine and a few other brewers' malt. Have to pay for Bacon though :-(

This scheme in NY sounds more like a formal arrangement, rather than a disposal facility (and as such is way hippy man) and would need a confluence of complimentary needs to implement and maintain yo.
Yeah my grain goes in what my son now refers to as the sausages (to their faces). I got offered a god price on a half pig...

Bear in mind that in NYC there is no compost and no city farm. There is mostly small apartments with people brewing in them and limited waste disposal. It's still a good idea, not least as not everyone walks by a pig-pen on the school run. Plus, I wanted to support a friends venture by possibly seeing if it was a good idea here. Given the scale of the UK local, or even national schemes like this could work...
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
SamTait

What to do with spent grain - an idea from NYC and chickens

Post by SamTait »

<minor point>

My stepmother is a DEFRA Vet up in North Yorkshire, and I mentioned once that we fed spent hops and grain to the pigs that my mate had as part of a co-op and received the following dire warning

This isn't a problem in and of itself, but the brewing need to be done away from food prep areas, if you're going to do this. One theory linked cross contamination of food fed to pigs as a possible cause of the Foot & mouth outbreak in the early 2000s

Just so you know
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Arbor ales have a relationship with a farmer to remove spent grain, what it is or how it works I don't know. I was going to see if he wanted half a tonne of apple pomace in the Autumn.