Android phones

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
alikocho

Android phones

Post by alikocho »

So I'm due an upgrade, but want to keep my tariff and not break the bank on a new phone. Anyone got experience/opinions on these?:

SAmsung Galaxy Ace 2
Samsung Galaxy Mini
HTC Wildfire S
HTC Desire C
HTC Explorer
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
SandyM

Re: Android phones

Post by SandyM »

No but I personally would go for the HTC over Samsung on the basis of build quality. The Samsungs will be slightly better hardware spec wise but the HTC's will have a more solid feel to them. I drop mine most days and its barely got a scratch on it.

Out of those you listed I would say the Desire C would be the best choice although there is little difference other than design and screen between the Desire C, Explorer and the Wildfire S. The Desire C is the most recently released and therefore the shiniest ;-)
Burns stuff. And makes beer. Usually not at the same time.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Perhaps aiming a bit low (not sure what your budget is though) but the Samsung Galaxy SII could be had for free on a £15 per month, 24 month contract a few months ago (500Mb interweb, 600 mins + 2000 texts) from Vodafone. Might be more atractive offers now the SIII is out, may be on an 18 month contract now.

Some friends have the mini 'phones and they are too small for my hands/eyes.
SandyM

Post by SandyM »

Indeed. In fact you may well be better off looking at the range of top spec handsets from last year. HTC Sensation or Samsung Galaxy SII were the best last year and they may well be giving them away for bugger all now. Both have a much better spec than the ones you are looking at.

Oh and I went for the sensation last year and am very happy with it.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

My key issue is hanging onto my contract, which is very sweet (on both mine and my wife's phone). I get free calls to the US...and I only pay £15 a month...

This rather limits choices based on cost....but I might see what I can wangle...
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

I got a HTC hd2 running ICS sweet as a nut you can have for 50 quid. This is the best phone I have ever had for cooking and porting roms.
SandyM

Post by SandyM »

ICS on an HD2? Is that not slow as fuck? I upgraded my Sensation to ICS and it has slowed it down a fair amount, I'd have thought it would be worse on an HD2? I did do an OTA update though so it's full of the HTC and Vodafone bloat ware.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

Minimal bloat! Running cm9 can't fault it! Upgraded to a s3 last week and although quicker - I feel a little cheated by getting tied in for yet another 24 months!

Rooting phones is the future!
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »