Geek tech help now

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
Capn Ahab

Geek tech help now

Post by Capn Ahab »

I need some advice from computer literate folks out there (don't laugh, I'm still on 'Janet and John').

1. You know when you embed a link in a post, how do you do it so that you can make a word or phrase of your choosing link to the page, as opposed to the URL?

2. I want to download shows off The Brewing Network into itunes, but when I click the link the page looks like code and has no obvious means for downloading. Is this something they need to fix or I need to fix?

Cheers.
Eat sh*t or die trying
vacant

Re: Geek tech help now

Post by vacant »

Capn Ahab wrote:I need some advice from computer literate folks out there (don't laugh, I'm still on 'Janet and John').

1. You know when you embed a link in a post, how do you do it so that you can make a word or phrase of your choosing link to the page, as opposed to the URL?
e.g. [url = http://www.google.co.uk]GOOGLE[/url]

Just remove the spaces either side of the "=" sign. When posting, there is a list of bulletin board codes in boxes that you can click on (B for bold, I for italics etc) but if you just hover over the URL box a hint comes up on the next line - well it does in Chromium browser

edit - brewing network - you probably clicked on an RSS feed? Try the MP3 links. In firefox browser you can add an RSS link just the same as a book mark. RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication (I think) it's meant for latest news headlines but has other uses (such as latest episodes on brewing network .... or Game of Thrones torrents from eztv :) ).
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
SandyM

Post by SandyM »

The exact URL syntax varies from board to board but they are all essentially the same principal that vacant has already said. Might not be the same on Jim's as here for example. There is usually a link or url button at the top of the post message window.

Have you tried right clicking the link and selecting 'save link / file as'? If your browser doesn't support the encode of the mp3 (or wma or whatever it is saved as) it won't play in the browser, downloading then opening in iTunes should do the trick.

Can you post the link to the page so we can see for ourselves? (assuming that doesn't work)
Burns stuff. And makes beer. Usually not at the same time.
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Post by Taz Ales »

JBK is running on the same platform, so the BBCode is the same.

Hint: If you hover over the buttons above, the instructions for use appear just below.
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.