star san

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
rodneygullick

star san

Post by rodneygullick »

Hi I have acquired a small bottle of star san is this the only thing I need to clean my equipment or do I need something else as well only I need to clean my pressure barrel next weekend I thought of putting 1 liter of the mixture into the barrel then swirling it about then draining then putting the beer in Rodney
alikocho

Re: star san

Post by alikocho »

Star san is a sanitiser, and while it may remove some deposits it should be used on clean equipment. I use PBW to clean, and starsan to sanitise.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

Hi ali is there anywhere local i can purchase PBW (by the way) a while back you said you were going to get some chillies to make a ghost mead i brought a half a bag of hot chillies to the last meeting but you were not there if you want them i will bring them to the next meeting
vacant

Post by vacant »

For cleaning I use Wizz "Oxi Clean". A powder that comes in a tub, just mix a scoop with hot water. It's marketed as a stain remover and costs £1 for 500g from Wilko's or pound shops. It's UNSCENTED. There are similar cleaners out there - look for Sodium Percarbonate in the ingredients. Of course you need to rinse it when it's done its stuff.
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I use Ecover bleach for cleaning the box says its >30% soda and hydrogen peroxide.

It works for me!
The craft beer revolution will not be sanitised!
(Apologies to Gil Scott-Heron)
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

SteveW wrote:I use Ecover bleach for cleaning the box says its >30% soda and hydrogen peroxide.

It works for me!
I use the active ingredient in that. http://mistralni.co.uk/catalogue/produc ... Ultra-pure

Often available on ebay too.
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

i have now got some oxy stain remover when cleaning do i fill my barrel right up with the stain remover or do i put about a gallon in and swirl it about and how long do i leave it in for Rodney
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Either. The swirl it around approach saves on chemicals and it's what I usually do, often aided by a softish nylon brush.
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

thanks for that Roger what about the small electric pump i have got do i run the stain remover thro then flush it out then run some starsan thro will it damage the pump at all Rodney
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

No idea, seems a bit over the top.

Sling some in, give it a swish every now and then for as long as you can be bothered, quick brush, quick rinse then sanitise.