Introduce yourself...

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
jelly48

Re: Introduce yourself...

Post by jelly48 »

Hi, my name is Jon; I was born 30yds from the tobacco factory when it was a tobacco factory, so I think that makes me a Bristolian. I am now lucky enough to live in Clevedon. As we have some really nice pubs around here, so it makes you wonder why I would want to brew beer.

I first brewed beer about thirty years ago It must have been very bad, as I didn’t think much of it at the time. At that time I used to think Vesta meals were good, so it just goes to show, I haven't got any taste .

I had another go about a year ago when a friend told me that he brewed beer, and he thought it was very good. I am now on my ninth or tenth batch, all but the late two have been very good (to me).

I am now hooked and a little worried that I have some sort of compulsive behaviour as I am now consuming Youtube videos and books on home brewing as if I were The Borg. That isn’t to say I know the first thing about any of it.

My dream is to brew a pint of Smiles Best. I liked the beer so much, I bought the company. I lost a fortune, but still have good memories of the beer!
Jon
SamTait

Introduce yourself...

Post by SamTait »

That you Mr Payne?

Welcome aboard!
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

jelly48 wrote:My dream is to brew a pint of Smiles Best.
Welcome Jon, as for your wish, I reckon Andrew at Towles brewery would be able to point you in the right direction :)
EckersKlein

Post by EckersKlein »

Hey there,
[I'm] Eric and Ariel. We're a couple of young 'muricans who began our brewing adventures in the Colonies before moving over here. We've traditionally been fans of German weizens and Belgian strong ales, but are now pushing ourselves deeper down the hop hole. We're also aiming to expand our brewing expertise beyond extract and partial mash into the reportedly wonderful world of all-grain, and are looking forward to some helpful discussions with you all.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Hi there and welcome, aside from the forum there are two clubs in Bristol with meetings on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of the month, details elsewhere on the forum.

Extract/partial mash brewing can be very good indeed but perhaps one of the main reasons for moving over to AG is cost, it's simply so much cheaper :)
periolus

Introduce yourself...

Post by periolus »

Welcome to the forum! You'll get plenty of friendly advice on here, and we have two excellent brewing clubs to get involved with. : )
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
SamTait

Introduce yourself...

Post by SamTait »

Ahoy!
SamTait

Introduce yourself...

Post by SamTait »

Double post
jonnymorris

Post by jonnymorris »

Hello. I'm a newbie to this forum so here goes...

Name:
Jonny

Area:
Westbury-on-Trym

Brewing Bio:
Brewed numerous kits at college 20 years ago. They were all, without exception, awful but they were mine so I drank them. About a year ago I remembered the old brews with faded fondness and so got back on the horse. I started with a few kits which were OK, moved onto extract which was better and am now, having built all the necessary kit, about to attempt my first AG.

Memorable moment:
The seal on my King Keg (which was in my bedroom) letting rip at 3 in the morning, screaming like a banshee and scaring the bejesus out of me.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Welcome to the forum, as I'm sure you've gathered you've just missed the BristolCraft Brewers meeting (first Thursday of the month) there is another (less formal) meeting of Bristol Brewers Circle later in the month.

You'll get lots of good advice here and at the meetings as there is less noise and more signal than many forums.