Introduce yourself...

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
I_used_to_brew

Re: Introduce yourself...

Post by I_used_to_brew »

For BCB, look here http://www.bristolcraftbrewers.co.uk/ in the meetings tab and you'll see what is going on at future meetings.

I'm not that certain there are two distinct seperate entities any longer, not so much splitting Mike and more like osmosis with an equillibrium that will be reached at some point I reckon.
Tribes

Post by Tribes »

Hi,

Ben, Glos Road, have been brewing for a few years.
Currently doing 5 gallon cider, 5 gallon orange / mango and 5 gallon ginger ale starts this weekend.

Nothing too serious, but welcome advice, suggestions etc.

Nice one!
vacant

Post by vacant »

Hi, I'm Paul (vacant on JBK).

I started with a few kits in 2007 then went AG using the BIAB method after reading this thread, though I mostly batch sparge these days.

I brew each month, AG34 fermenting as I type. I switched to liquid yeasts a year ago and keep a selection of slants in the fridge.

My worst incident so far was a mid boil cut-out after about 6 brews. I had to transfer the wort, strip the cut-out. So now I have a FV fitted with an element on standby. I guess I could try a party-gyle ... thanks for an interesting talk last night Matt.

After last night's meeting I appear to be brewing session ales - I like something not too strong that I can drink a lot of sitting out in the sun.

Best recent commercial pint: Palmer's Copper sitting outside the Cobb Arms, Lyme Regis.
Favourite Beer Festival: Minehead
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Hi Both.

Paul, I remember your infamous thread on JBK that eventually led to Chris-x1 (daab) being booted off, a classic.

Ben, chuck some chilli in the ginger beer like Taz did, it's a really nice addition.
Tribes

Post by Tribes »

Trunky wrote: Ben, chuck some chilli in the ginger beer like Taz did, it's a really nice addition.
Ingredients to include:
2 x limes
1kg x root ginger
Few tablespoons of dry ginger powder
1 x teaspoon cream of tartar
Few cups of sugar
and the newly suggested chilli. I have a load that have just ripened; this is a good thing!
vacant

Post by vacant »

Trunky wrote:Paul, I remember your infamous thread on JBK that eventually led to Chris-x1 (daab) being booted off, a classic.
I thought it was more the culmination of "last, last warnings", he was also having a dig at Jim & others at the time. I don't know what discussions went on behind the scenes. Anyway my solution was to suggest "The Car Park" forum, like "The Tap Room" but posting with caps lock mandatory - for no-holds-barred insults where anyone who enjoys a good argument could spill out to and vent their spleen.
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Yes, now I think about it the BIAB thread probably was the real tipping point for him. Plenty of knowledge but a bit of a tool. Another chap on there is heading the same way, Graham Wheeler especially if anyone criticizes CAMRA.
Amac47

Post by Amac47 »

Hi I'm Alan from Backwell.

I moved to Backwell last Spring and finding myself surrounded by neighbours with small orchards and a free supply of apples I decided ( with some encouragement from Roger) to have a go at making cider. Pressed some 70 gallons of juice last year using a homemade press. Modest success at my first attempt and only had to ditch about half of it! Started again this season and hope to improve on last year.

I really enjoyed the meeting on Thursday night and thank you all for making me feel so welcome. It was a real education for me to taste the various brews and to hear the comments about them. I am inspired and will now get away from kit beers and have a go at the real thing.

Looking forward to the next meeting.

Alan
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

The meetings are allways very good. The brewing standard is pretty good too and we've all learned so much from each other in the last year. Novice brewers have become national homebrew competition prizewinners.

Great environment in which to learn Alan!
bryceee

Post by bryceee »

Hi everyone, Chris here. I've been brewing for a few years but on an occasional basis - just bottled my first batch in 11 months. Partially because I was down to the last bottle of the last batch!

I have made a handful of batches, some of them with a mate which have all been 20 litres and made with Wyeast, and the ones I've made on my own have been 9 or 10 litres (due to space and smaller equipment) and made with dried yeas. All apart from one batch have turned out well. The one that went wrong was a honey beer that hadn't completed fermenting, so when the bottle was opened there was a bit of a geyser of beer.
Flake anyone?

Not much else to say from me really, but I'm off to ask a question about my latest batch.