new mash tun

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
rodneygullick

new mash tun

Post by rodneygullick »

I used my new mash tun for the first time I ended up with a stuck mash , I did notice that the new bag of malt I opened had a lot dust malt incorporated in it I was wondering it this was the problem would it pay me to sieve it before my next brew
I_used_to_brew

Re: new mash tun

Post by I_used_to_brew »

rodneygullick wrote:I used my new mash tun for the first time I ended up with a stuck mash , I did notice that the new bag of malt I opened had a lot dust malt incorporated in it I was wondering it this was the problem would it pay me to sieve it before my next brew

Nope.

The dust is the 'stuff' that will make your sugars. You might want to mix the sack up, some degree of settling happens in the sack after milling.

Stuck mashes are uncommon. Could be related to a crap false bottom, too fast a run off / too slow a sparge.
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

Mr. lard made the tun for me so I wouldn't think the kit was at fought you are probably right about the run off it is a new system for me my old mash tun the filter was above the tap the new one is the other way around the tap is above the filter
darrenw

Post by darrenw »

Chuck a few oat husks in, can give you a few, I've found recently with my kit that I get lots of particles getting through my filter as the grain is crushed so fine.
Darren
----
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

never thought of that, I've got a kilo of oat husks how do I go about using them, some say they have to be boiled first in a small amount of water ,is this correct or do I just put them in as they are ,on a 18.9l brew how much do I use ?
darrenw

Post by darrenw »

rodneygullick wrote:never thought of that, I've got a kilo of oat husks how do I go about using them, some say they have to be boiled first in a small amount of water ,is this correct or do I just put them in as they are ,on a 18.9l brew how much do I use ?
I would just chuck a handful in with grain, they are inert so won't affect flavour, but perhaps rinse first? Would also do a few more brews may have been a one off?
Darren
----
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

rodneygullick wrote:Mr. lard made the tun for me so I wouldn't think the kit was at fought you are probably right about the run off it is a new system for me my old mash tun the filter was above the tap the new one is the other way around the tap is above the filter
Can you post a photo of the mash tun Rodney? something doesn't sound right.

Does it have a false bottom?

I've got two mash tuns from MrLard and I've never had one block.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

yep, never blocked mine, even with a lot of wheat or rye. Except when a slug crawled up the spout...
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

rodneygullick wrote: my old mash tun the filter was above the tap the new one is the other way around the tap is above the filter
So is mine. Never had a stuck mash.