Beer bottle bear
Bristol Brewers

Last visit was: It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: new mash tun
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:15 am 

I used my new mash tun for the first time I ended up with a stuck mash , I did notice that the new bag of malt I opened had a lot dust malt incorporated in it I was wondering it this was the problem would it pay me to sieve it before my next brew

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: new mash tun
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:24 am 

rodneygullick wrote:
I used my new mash tun for the first time I ended up with a stuck mash , I did notice that the new bag of malt I opened had a lot dust malt incorporated in it I was wondering it this was the problem would it pay me to sieve it before my next brew

Nope.

The dust is the 'stuff' that will make your sugars. You might want to mix the sack up, some degree of settling happens in the sack after milling.

Stuck mashes are uncommon. Could be related to a crap false bottom, too fast a run off / too slow a sparge.

This year I think that I will finally develop an invisible cardigan and my project to extract gold from spiders legs will also reap great rewards.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:54 am 

Mr. lard made the tun for me so I wouldn't think the kit was at fought you are probably right about the run off it is a new system for me my old mash tun the filter was above the tap the new one is the other way around the tap is above the filter

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:45 am 

Chuck a few oat husks in, can give you a few, I've found recently with my kit that I get lots of particles getting through my filter as the grain is crushed so fine.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:38 am 

never thought of that, I've got a kilo of oat husks how do I go about using them, some say they have to be boiled first in a small amount of water ,is this correct or do I just put them in as they are ,on a 18.9l brew how much do I use ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:26 am 

rodneygullick wrote:
never thought of that, I've got a kilo of oat husks how do I go about using them, some say they have to be boiled first in a small amount of water ,is this correct or do I just put them in as they are ,on a 18.9l brew how much do I use ?

I would just chuck a handful in with grain, they are inert so won't affect flavour, but perhaps rinse first? Would also do a few more brews may have been a one off?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:36 am 

rodneygullick wrote:
Mr. lard made the tun for me so I wouldn't think the kit was at fought you are probably right about the run off it is a new system for me my old mash tun the filter was above the tap the new one is the other way around the tap is above the filter

Can you post a photo of the mash tun Rodney? something doesn't sound right.

Does it have a false bottom?

I've got two mash tuns from MrLard and I've never had one block.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:56 pm 

yep, never blocked mine, even with a lot of wheat or rye. Except when a slug crawled up the spout...
steve

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:42 pm 

rodneygullick wrote:
my old mash tun the filter was above the tap the new one is the other way around the tap is above the filter

So is mine. Never had a stuck mash.

This year I think that I will finally develop an invisible cardigan and my project to extract gold from spiders legs will also reap great rewards.

Offline Profile