moving holes up

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
rodneygullick

moving holes up

Post by rodneygullick »

I've come to the conclusion that the holes I put into my fermentation bin are to close to the bottom that is why I get a lot of crap in my bottles so how can I fill them other than use a tap it would be nice to get a plug of some sort any ideas
vacant

Re: moving holes up

Post by vacant »

Is it really worth faffing around when you can get a new 25 litre FV with lid for £4.99 delivered (if your total spend is over £10). I was also looking in Wilko's where some of their rectangular storage containers have food-safe stamps.
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

I agree. Though I would splash out on the £12 wine fermenter from wilko. airtight seal, screw top, opening you can get your hand into. Also I would not put a tap on it, these are a source of infection. Get a stainless racking cane and syphon it out. The cane can be sterilised with a blowtorch.
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

thank you Paul I have a spare bucket with no holes in it yet so if I cant find anything to plug the holes with I will use that
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I would also recommend the wine fermenters, for some reason I don't seem to scratch them as easily as open buckets.

Consider the Spiedel fermenters from Vigo or Winegrowers. Lastly, seriously consider a stainless steel stockpot to ferment in, probably around £50 but, lets face it, it's never going to wear out.