BJCP style guidelines update

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
alikocho

BJCP style guidelines update

Post by alikocho »

There will be a new set of style guidelines coming out this year. It will definitely be published by June of this year.

I can reveal that there will likely be certain changes (I have a very good source for this):

the introduction of a specialty IPA category, with certain styles (e.g. Black IPA, Belgian IPA) defined
the introduction of a Historical subcategory to Specialty, with some things pre-defined (e.g. Gose, Gratzer, Victorian Mild) and with scope for using the web to add more as people do more research
Corrections on UK styles - Bitters to be renamed to reflect reality; regional distinctions to be identified and noted; Brown Ale to become one, broader style and noted as such; Scottish Ales overhauled and corrected.
Irish Ales - Red Ale to be corrected. Dry Stout potentially becoming Irish Stout as an Irish Ale.
Bohemian Pils to become Czech Pils, with the Light, Amber and dark versions all defined
Alt to become one style

Several other less profound changes, including greater clarity on the differentiation between stouts and porters (i.e. noting that American brewers differentiate through the use of roasted Barley, but UK brewers don't draw the same distinctions).

Hit me with any questions or comments and I'll do my best to deal with them in my role as Regional Director and International Coordinator for the BJCP.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com