Favourite Bristol Pub

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
Capn Ahab

Favourite Bristol Pub

Post by Capn Ahab »

Sort of following on from my last post, I thought it might be interesting to hear opinions on people's favourite pubs and why.

Mine is The Plough in Easton because it's dirt cheap, always lively, you can do as you please and everyone knows each other - proper community pub. I mainly drink at The Miners in St Werburghs though, cos it's two minutes from my house. Neither of these pubs are famous for their beers (rightly so), so I'm guessing not many others will choose them.

What is yours?
Eat sh*t or die trying
I_used_to_brew

Re: Favourite Bristol Pub

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I can't answer on Redland/Clifton really as I avoid those areas mostly (students etc) so haven't replied in that thread....

My own local is a typical street corner boozer of which there are lots. The Lord Raglan, it's not a bad place and the real ale has come in leaps and bounds in the last year or so, sometimes have great real cider too :) Not in my top 5 but I would not expect it to be. But I could get away with anything in there and I've seen it all.

Favourite is either Three Tuns or No. 1 Harbourside, food at No. 1 is always good, Three Tuns is a new setup and I've not tried it yet, great beer in both, more choice in The Tuns. After those, I have a soft spot for Brewbog and the Old Fishmarket.

The Old Bank is good if you don't mind the students in term time.

Of the three relative newcomers, well, they are all settling in. Don't particularly like the dungeons of the beer emporium, but their bottle shop is brilliant. Small Bar is probably the best of the three with TFRNV second, prices can be quite high in all these.
monty1

Post by monty1 »

Star & Dove for me. good food, good bar snacks, good and changing beers! What more could you want!
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

What about pubs in Kingsdown?
Eat sh*t or die trying
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

I'm loving the small bar at the moment. beer geek heaven.
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

I like the small bar as well. Good choice of beer at prices that don't beg belief (unlike Colston Yard or Barley Mow).

I thought the TFRNV was a really good venue last Thursday and is somewhere I will go again, as is the beer emporium.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Beermuda Triangle, although I probably frequent the Full Moon in Stokes Croft the most often. Definitely not because of the beer, which is boring brown shit, but it's the closest pub to work!
James

BJCP Certified Judge
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

Bimster wrote:I like the small bar as well. Good choice of beer at prices that don't beg belief (unlike Colston Yard or Barley Mow).

I thought the TFRNV was a really good venue last Thursday and is somewhere I will go again, as is the beer emporium.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Beermuda Triangle, although I probably frequent the Full Moon in Stokes Croft the most often. Definitely not because of the beer, which is boring brown shit, but it's the closest pub to work!
For as long as i have been allowed down town :) I have always had a soft spot for kings street. No idea why (honest) it doesn't ever seem to attract as many muppets (if wasn't for a better word) as the rest of town. And as already mentioned there are some half tidy establishments
darrenw

Post by darrenw »

Going to this one later in the week:

http://www.croftersrights.co.uk/ all beers are < £3 looks newish?

and also Beered (top of St Michaels hill) is worth a visit, though they always seem to run out of it when I'm there :(.

Normally pop in to Three Tuns in the week with guys from work lunch times.

I've found the Crown in St Nicks to have a few interesting guests on, but don't go there often so cant comment further...
Darren
----
SandyM

Post by SandyM »

darrenw wrote:Going to this one later in the week:

http://www.croftersrights.co.uk/ all beers are < £3 looks newish?
All beers are certainly NOT <£3 in the Crofters Rights, but it is a decent pub with a good range.

For me, I probably drink in the Miners, Duke of York, Sugar Loaf and Plough most just because they are all close to my house. Just discovered the Whitehall Tavern though, it's a bit grimy and not a great range but they do have 3 ales on at £2.40 / pint which you really can't argue with!

Favourites to go to though would be 3 Tuns, Bag o Nails, Beer emporium and Volunteer Tavern round the back of Cabot which all do good beer and change them regularly. The Volunteer Tavern also do beer festivals about 3 times a year which are always worth a visit.
Burns stuff. And makes beer. Usually not at the same time.