rousing my beer

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
rodneygullick

rousing my beer

Post by rodneygullick »

(suggestions) Tuesday I made another stock ale I pitched in safale 0-5 gravity was 1080 the first one died on me so I repitched another it got going well it is now Saturday practically stopped working so I checked the ph it was 1030 quite a bit high so I roused it I am only hoping it will start up again I've got another 10 days in the fermenter before I bottle Rodney
steve crawshaw

Re: rousing my beer

Post by steve crawshaw »

pitch another packet (after rehydrating)?
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

that will be 3 packs of yeast if i do that will it make much difference to the taste
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

I did not put any more yeast it was still working there was a leak in the rubber grommet that held the fermentation lock all of a sudden the head on the brew is at the top of the fermenter I am into 9th day the head is coming thro the lock so I have put the base of a lock in with a pipe leading to a jug of water the temperature has dropped to 16.5 degs iv,e got no way to increase it at one time it went up to 20 degrees I generally ferment for 2 weeks lets hope it is finished by then
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

rodneygullick wrote:I did not put any more yeast it was still working there was a leak in the rubber grommet that held the fermentation lock all of a sudden the head on the brew is at the top of the fermenter I am into 9th day the head is coming thro the lock so I have put the base of a lock in with a pipe leading to a jug of water the temperature has dropped to 16.5 degs iv,e got no way to increase it at one time it went up to 20 degrees I generally ferment for 2 weeks lets hope it is finished by then
I have found the best way to control temperature is to put the FV in a builders bucket of water with the water temp controlled by an aquarium heater. keeps the temps rock solid.
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

I got an aquarium stat heater my only problem is that I have a tap at the bottom of my fermenter I have got to solve the problem somehow I thought of putting the heater on to a shallow bucket then putting the fermenting bucket on top then covering it with a blanket no doubt I will get there eventually I have just got another fermentation bin I could always syphon it out that's another option instead of using a tap
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

rodneygullick wrote:I got an aquarium stat heater my only problem is that I have a tap at the bottom of my fermenter I have got to solve the problem somehow I thought of putting the heater on to a shallow bucket then putting the fermenting bucket on top then covering it with a blanket no doubt I will get there eventually I have just got another fermentation bin I could always syphon it out that's another option instead of using a tap
I would recommend the FV's from wilkinson with a screw top (no tap). taps are where contamination hides. They seal properly and take a bung for an airlock. I silicon seal the bung in so that I know it is sealed. They are easy to clean and cheap. They will fit in a large builders tub from B&Q along with the aquarium heater.

I siphon into bottles or keg using a stainless racking cane which is blowtorched prior to racking. I use silicon tube which is autoclaved and a I use a removable mouthpiece so that my disgusting saliva does not contaminate the beer. My bottling wand is stainless 3/8" tube which I autoclave. The Taz (c) bottling valve fits on the end snug.

Maybe it's OTT but my beer is clean...
steve
TomAdam

Post by TomAdam »

I'm using the Wilko's fermenters at Steve's recommendation. The large neck makes it easy to get your hand in for cleaning and for dry-hopping. Make sure you calibrate it though - the scale is very approximate on mine and resulted in 1% extra strength in my last brew. They have them on offer at the moment for £11.20 so I just picked up a second.
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

2 weeks fermentation I think it is finally finished it dropped out at 1012 so I have bottled and put the rest in a barrel I make it 9.1abv