Gone 3 vessel :)

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
Jeltz69

Gone 3 vessel :)

Post by Jeltz69 »

Brewed using my new 50L stock pot and gas ring

It was a success, but highlighted some changes that need making.

Evaporation was less than expected as I boiled with the lid on but with a crack to let the steam out.

I collected 24L @ 1.049 rather than 23L @ 1.051 as intended but forgot to allow for the 2L starter which I had going, so put 3L in a demijohn and 23 in the FV. I need to get some 33L buckets!

Recipe is for a ESB most of it will be popped in a polypin and attached to my hand pull
I_used_to_brew

Re: Gone 3 vessel :)

Post by I_used_to_brew »

You don't add the liquid from any starter, just the yeast from the bottom.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

RogerP wrote:You don't add the liquid from any starter, just the yeast from the bottom.
I agree that this is what should happen, but often I forget to turn the stir plate off in time, so the whole lot goes in usually. Also you sometimes use a yeast that doesn't drop out quickly so unless you prepare well in advance you don't have the opportunity to pitch a settled slurry.
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
Jeltz69

Post by Jeltz69 »

Thanks guys, I just took the flask off the stir plate, retrieved the bar and pitched. I'll know for next time. How long before brewing should you start a starter? Mine was a bit impromptu so It was a little over a day, but I'm presuming that's too short really? The yeast was probably reasonably viable already, having been top harvested a few weeks back, so it was more of an equipment/technique test than anything else.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Timing!

You wouldn't want to pitch a 5 litre starter of pisswater in a strong beer, so timing is the key.