Tripel recommendations?

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
monty1

Tripel recommendations?

Post by monty1 »

I've just drank a bottle of the Bristol Beer Factory Tripel (La Trippale) and it was absolutely awesome, I don't really remember tasting a Tripel before - can anyone recommend any others to try. Preferably ones I can buy on tap or in bottles here in Bristol.
PMowdes

Re: Tripel recommendations?

Post by PMowdes »

It's not really a proper tripel. It's more like a strong american IPA made with belgian yeast, I didn't like it to be honest. I thought that the yeast character got really confused with all the hops. Drink a few real Tripels and you will see what i mean.

They are not dissimilar to belgian golden strong, although the golden strong tends to be a bit drier and with a little less hops

There are lots of good belgian tripels out there, the one that springs to mind is the Westmalle tripel, you should be able to get your hands on some quite easily.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
monty1

Post by monty1 »

Noted! I will hunt Westmalle and compare them. The BBF one does say it has an Imperial IPA malt bill and Belgian yeast, still an interesting beer I think, though I don't think I could drink much more than a pint in one session.

(edit: and that was before i realised it was 8.5% ! )
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

st. bernardus is a nice one.
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

The st. bernardus abt 12 is an awesome beer to.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

PMowdes wrote:The st. bernardus abt 12 is an awesome beer to.
Wasn't it the original recipe or similar for Westvleteren 12. At least St Bernardus was the contract brewer until they took production entirely within the monastery walls. The beers may have evolved since, but they are similar.

Oh and Chimay White is a good tripel. Not so easy to find.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

RogerP wrote: Chimay White is a good tripel. Not so easy to find.
They got it in Tescos in Haverfordwest....
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

The St.B abt12 and the Westverleteren XII are similar, although the Westverleteren has more body and is a bit more complex. Both really good beers.

You can get the St.B abt12 at Discount supermarket in Cardiff, they do Rochefort 10 as well which is one of my favorites.
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

As per BJCP, Rochefort 10 is a Belgium Dark Strong not a tripel but is a fantastic beer (one of my favourites).

Tripels are very subtle in alcohol, unlike Belgium Golden Strongs which smack you in the face with alcohol (think Duvel or even worse, warm Duvel!).

Tripels are sneaky beers in that they are strong (7.5% to 9.5% ABV) but don't come across that way when you drink them.

Well worth trying them though :)
James

BJCP Certified Judge