weights and measures

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
Capn Ahab

weights and measures

Post by Capn Ahab »

A fluid ounce is different to an ounce of solid matter. Why? A litre is equal to a kilogram, no?
Eat sh*t or die trying
PMowdes

Re: weights and measures

Post by PMowdes »

Depends what your measuring and it is dependant on density, but if you assume the density of water is 1.0 then yes, 1L = 1kg. I'm guessing imperial fluid measures are derived from something obsure.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

And its temperature dependant as well.
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

A fluid once of water and an once of water are pretty much the same, I.e 28ml and 28g. A fluid once of beer us still 28ml but because the density is different it will weigh more.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

An Imperial fluid oz of water and an ounce are more or less the same weight. An American fluid ounce is bigger by a ml or so.

The reason for the larger American measure, supposedly lies in a fluid ounce as being once defined as the liquid PLUS that which clings to the side of a measure. Given that bars in New York (I don't know about other states, but I have a lot of experience of NY) aren't held to weights and measures, but can serve by the glass this point has been thrown up recently in an article by the New York Post.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

I forgot that I posted this - was pretty sleepy. Cheers for the replies. I was reading farmhouse ales and came across mention of fluid ounces.
Eat sh*t or die trying