Best Brewday Ever

Anything off-topic. If you're a new user please feel free to introduce yourself here.
Capn Ahab

Best Brewday Ever

Post by Capn Ahab »

Did my first brew using all shiny kit (except the HLT): 50 litre ss boiler, 50 litres ss thermopot mash tun, false bottom, new hop filter and plate chiller - all from Mr Lard. Well worth the investment!

Christened the kit with a big US IPA hopped with Warrior, Ahtanum, Kohatu and Amarillo. Should be ready in about a month.
Eat sh*t or die trying
Bimster

Re: Best Brewday Ever

Post by Bimster »

Nice....
James

BJCP Certified Judge
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

Boom! Thats how we roll :-)

Thanks for the feedback mate x
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Glad you took the plunge mark, it is a pleasure to use the shiny. Quality kit which will last the test of time.
Steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

MrLards hop filters really are worth their weight in gold. One day I'll go for the MT as it looks a good bit of fettling, but it will need to be at least 60 litres if not 80 to make it worthwhile.

Not sure about the plate chillers for 'domestic' use, I need to be convinced they don't block and are not to much of a pain to sanitise.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

I am thinking of renaming those hop filters "the HP filter"

roger

as for the mash tun i am doing 60s and 80s :-) I am bashing up one of each along with a couple of 50's this week if you want to come and have a little look. the 80 is quite frankly stupid i am pretty sure i could hide in it.

plate chillers well obviously i am going to say they are brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but........... they are. Its the best of both world i personally like to pump back into the boiler while cooling and can get a 40litre length down to around 20 degrees in under 15mins this time of year.

:-) you can be as anal as you like when it come to sterilizing them personally i just throw mine in a bucket of water until its needed then recirc boining wort through for around 15 -20mins at the start of the boil. As for blocking them its impossible if you are using a HP filter.

I blocked one going back a little while - when i forgot to fit the hop filter all you need to do is swap the input and output and the pressure will blow it out.
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

For me the plate chiller is the best bit of kit out of the lot. Let's face it, shiny pots work just as well as non shiny, but a plate chiller is so much better than am immersion coil or homemade cfc that it's ridiculous. They take up very little space, are no faff to use and are efficient and FAST.
Eat sh*t or die trying
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Interesting.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

RogerP wrote:Not sure about the plate chillers for 'domestic' use, I need to be convinced they don't block and are not to much of a pain to sanitise.
I'm currently running without a hop filter other than a copper pipe with ~3mm holes in in my boiler valve. I've not had the plate chiller block in ~10 brews. I am using leaf hops. As I intend to use at least some pellet boil hops in future I will be buying a deluxe hop filter. Sanitising plate chillers, well I have a wiltec 80 plate which is small enough to go in my autoclave though imagine recirc hot wort or steam from a wallpaper stripper would work.

steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Autoclave, not something that common outside of your laboratory :)

Probably a pressure cooker will do, if not steam as I use for the corny kegs. Anyway, it's not going to block with a lardy filter!